The City That Was Rebuilt II


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Würzburg
June 15th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Fortress Marienburg Fortress Marienburg Fortress Marienburg

with the River Main in the foreground.
Geo: 49.7878, 9.93611

A long drive from Innsbruck to Wurzburg yesterday, delayed by an hour and a half by a bad truck and bus accident on the autobahn.

Arrived at Wurzburg late in the day.

The city of Wurzburg is mentioned in a donation by Hedan II to Bishop Willibrord, dated 1 May 704. On 16 March 1945, about 90% of the city was destroyed in 17 minutes by 225 British Lancaster bombers during a World War II air raid. All of the city's churches, cathedrals, and other monuments were either heavily damaged or destroyed during the air raid.

We caught the bus into the old city of Wurzburg this morning, and walked around the old city, including the local produce markets. We then headed for Fortress Marienberg which is on the highest point overlooking the city. The Fortress offers a great view over the city. To get to the Fortress we had to cross over the Alte Mainbrucke (Old Bridge) over the River Main which was built in 1473. The bridge has statues lining it's sides similar to that of the Charles Bridge in Prague.

We then visited the Wurzburg Residenz built by the city's Prinz-Bishops who ruled Germany for centuries. An amazing palace of opulence similar to that of the Hofburg Palaces in Austria. We then walked around the gardens of the palace, before catching a bus back to our Hotel.

Off to Koblenz tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kim Overlooking the Princes Garden Kim Overlooking the Princes Garden
Kim Overlooking the Princes Garden

in Fortress Marienburg. There is a Scenic Cruise ship in the background on the river.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb