Wurzburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Würzburg
June 11th 2015
Published: June 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We went to Wurzburg today where we spent time at the Residenz which was the grand palace for the Prince-Bishop Balthasar Neumann. It was kind of a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch my back" way of being elevated to that level. The interior was extremely ornate with Baroque and Rococo embellishments, paintings, statues, décor and design. Now mind you, this palace was for one man since he was a bishop and was not to be married (although rumor has it there may have been children). Pictures were not allowed of the inside, but take my word, it was dazzling!

More than 80% of the city was destroyed in WWII bombings. The town repaired the buildings to their original state and there was also significant damage to the Residenz. The taxpayers have paid for the restoration in many of the cities that were destroyed. They take great pride in their history and spend a ton of money on keeping their buildings in good original condition courtesy of the tax payers of Germany. By the way, they take approximately 40% taxes out of all paychecks, and there's a 19% value added tax (VAT) on all merchandise purchases, food is 7%. If you maintain your membership and want to be recognized as a worshiper in any specific religion, there is a 10% tax. They say the average German has only 100 Euros left over for the month to spend as they wish. I'd be in a heap of trouble!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb