The End.


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Würzburg
April 26th 2011
Published: April 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

a bit pressed for time this morning but wanted to take advantage of the free internet to get one last entry in.
staying at the babelfish hostel in Würzburg. great location right across from the train station. 6 bed dorm rooms, and worst part is i had to switch rooms between the two nights. grrrr. and its so hard to tell what people are going to be like when you meet them lol sunday night i figured it would be a long night, with 2 groups of two and a solo plus me, and the chicks were pretty chatty, the guys rustling around in their bags, etc etc figured little sleep. fell asleep and never woke until 6, feeling refreshed so i got up! then last night i move to this room with south korean family of 5. figure good they'll be asleep early and quiet. ugh. they were still goin strong when i finally fell asleep around 130 (except pappy who was snoring up a storm and most of the reason i was awake - had earplugs but made no difference). then i wake up at 730 to momma clipping her toenails on the bed. ugh hello other people have to sleep in your toenail clippings now.

anyways they've been a beehive of activity for the last hour but i've been entertaining myself, managed to sneak into the ensuite bathroom for a quick shower, so now i'm ready to face the day.

anyways can't remember where i left off last time, its been a few days. busy busy. came to Würzburg since it was close to frankfurt, and close to Nüremburg. but i was surprised, this is a wonderful city. not too big, not too small, cute sights, busy pedestrian roads, lots of restaurants, shopping.

spent yesterdya in nuremberg seeing the sights. it was sunny and hot and i wasn't feeling all that great. nothing major, just starting to get worn down i think. feet were hurting, the sun was too bright, i was tired, my back aches... etc etc will really have something to complain about when going home tomorrow. blah. anyways nuremberg was the big nazi party city. they used to hold their rallies there, and it was considered the most german of any city in germany. back then it was cool to be 'more german' as they considered german genes the most superior and other, lesser peoples, needed to be taken out of the gene pool. just outside the old town theres the documentation centre and rally grounds. really good museum there with lots of videos and a great audioguide talking about the rise of nazism (called National Socialism). Short story, the Germans were pissed that they got the raw end after WWI and the Treaty of Versailles. the economy wasn't too great and then the depression hit. along comes hitler with his amazing propaganda machine and over 15-20 years totally changes the publics mindset. in the 20's they start restricting people other than 'pure' germans, with bylaws and small changes. slowly it all builds up until 1939 when they invade poland and bring on WWII.

the documentation centre was HUGE, it was being built to be a big theatre type thing for hitler to stand in his throne area and address the masses . never did get it finished. they also wanted to build a huge stadium that could seat something like 400 000 people but all they did was dig the foundation which today is a cute little pond lol

anyways after that just kinda strolled through the old town of nuremburg with zero motivation to do anything else. had a nice chicken sandwich for lunch. and a fanta. and some ice cream.

then headed back to wuerzburg for a stroll around. and i had mcdonalds for supper. yes i know i shouldn't but i was too lazy to do anything else and i just wanted some comfort food.

anywyas up and ready to go now, gonna stow my stuff in a locker at the train station, get a picnic and head across the river to the marienburg fortress up on the hill to get some good views of town, relax and work on the ole suntan lol lazy day comin. then take the train to frankfurt later on this afternoon.

Advertisement



26th April 2011

Hi Jason: You're in the former Nazi stronghold -- the R.A.F. nearly bombed it to obliteration but the city will have recovered 60 odd years later. Another interestig place historically. The hostel life is not for me (lol) I'm wondering how you ended up with a Korean family --will find out when you get back. You're winding down now, wise to get up to Frankfurt early, you don't want to risk missing flight home. Poppy and I knew a guy from Franfurt (Kinsella), lived on Bonavista St. We enjoyed chats with him at the supermarket. Hopefully, see you on Sunday. How are you going to settle down now after all the excitement? Bye, Nan

Tot: 0.622s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb