Our First Day in Regensburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Regensburg
December 7th 2014
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.0165, 12.1009

We're up by 7 and Mom begins her grueling task of packing. It gets more difficult each day as her Christmas goodies look for a free ride back to the USA. Now she says she's going to leave some of the clothes that she packed for the poor people here in Germany. Ah, that's why we brought all this stuff. I take a few pictures around town now that the crowds are gone. When I return, we have a delicious free breakfast compliments of our hotel. I bring down one big bag down from the 3rd floor and the kid brings the other. The taxi takes us to the train station to catch the 10:06. to Regensberg, another three train event.

The Main part of the city began in 12th & 13th centuries. Regensburg bills itself as "Germany's best-preserved medieval city." It's hard to argue with that description, at least when you're wandering through the Altstadt with its 13th to 15th Century houses or crossing the Steinerne Brücke (Stone Bridge), which has carried traders and tourists across the Danube since the 1100s. Regensburg escaped damage from Allied bombs in World War II.

Today's trip was much easier than yesterday. It's Sunday and traffic is light. We have the trains to ourselves and by 1:25pm, we arrive at the Regensburg HBF and soon the our hotel, the Hotel Munchner Hof. It's right next to the main Christmas Market. After settling in, we wander around the market for a few hours. We return to the hotel for free snacks and Gluhwein. Then it's out once more to a crafts market a few blocks away. There's only about 20 or so huts and after Mom purchases an unusual salt shaker (we don't even use salt), we return to our room for rest and showers. Not much excitement here.

We find that if you visit the main Christkindlmarkt in any of the cities, it's best to go twice: Once during the day when you can browse the booths without being stampeded, and again in the evening when the square is packed with people of all ages who come to drink warm Glühwein, load up on sausages that range in size from tiny pairs of Nuremburgers (I like the best) to half-meter monstrosities and add to the festive lighting really brings out the Christmas spirit.

Tomorrow we will go to the Thurn & Taxis market at the Royal Palace. It's supposed to be real nice but that will be in the evening so we need to figure a destination for tomorrow daytime.

Until then


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Oh Look, a Leather ShopOh Look, a Leather Shop
Oh Look, a Leather Shop

What has this got to do with Christmas


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb