Walking Through Regensburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Regensburg
May 26th 2018
Published: May 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Regensburg is located at a bend of the Danube River in Bavaria. Because of its Roman heritage their is a distinct Italian influence on the architecture. We were given a walking tour of the old city by a native of Regensburg and former college of Jack, Peter Emmert. Jack and Peter were colleagues at Siemens, so our tour was also their reunion after 17 years. Peter and Jack marched ahead of me, while I stayed out of the "shop talk" to take some photos. The cobbled streets and colorful buildings are reminiscent of an most old European cities. In the old city, modernization of structures has not interfered with their exterior charm. Regensburg has many ancient towers that served at one time as homes for the most wealthy residents, one dating back to 179 AD. The highlight of the old city is Dominican church of St. Blasius. According to the guidebook, the Dominicans came to Regensburg in 1229.

Outside of the city hall were several wedding parties, posing for photos. In Germany, couples have both a civil and religious ceremony, often can be some time between the civil and the religious.

We lunched in a lovely outdoor courtyard amidst the bustle of large parties of families and their dogs (often being loud and rowdy, the people that is, the dogs were most polite.)

We concluded the day with a walk over the foot bridge that crosses the Danube.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb