Day 6 - Nuremburg


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 6 - Nuremberg


Today I was supposed to be in the Hague, however, little did I know, German trains was starting their longest strike in history that week, which was a problem since I was travelling everywhere at night by train. Thankfully, it was mainly the night trains that were cancelled, and there were still many day trains still working so I was at least able to travel from Vienna to Nuremberg this morning. Nuremberg was really fascinating, it is large city that has both a new quarter and old quarter, which is surrounded by ancient walls. I spent the morning in the Documentation Centre Nazi Party Rally Grounds, which is probably one of the most interesting museums I have ever been too. It is built right into the ruins of an old Nazi theatre, so their architecture and the way the have set up the museum is really unique as it takes advantage of its location. What was surprising is how busy it was, and how many schools classes were there touring the facility. The tour ends with you walking out and seeing the huge stadium where Hitler gave some of his most famous speeches, a similar set up to the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem (where at the end you walk out and see the entire city in front of you). I also had the "honour" of meeting a woman at the documentation centre who thought she was the reincarnation of "Leni Riefenstahl," who was the most prominent film director during Hitlers Third Reich, and is famous for making, considered one of the greatest propaganda films ever, Triumph of the Will (1935, based on the 1934 Nazi Party Congress in Nuremberg). After being at the Centre for a few hours, I took a bus to the an old bunker (called the World War II Art Bunker) in the old quarter of Nuremberg, which was really remarkable and then toured around the old palace grounds and the old quarter. Finally, I took a tram to the old courthouse where the Nuremberg trials took place, which was very fascinating and then I got on a early train (unfortunately, because of the strike I could only be in Nuremberg for about 8 hours) for The Hague, Netherlands.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb