Nuremberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
December 21st 2016
Published: December 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Docked at 7.00am and off the boat by 9.00am. We had booked to go on the tour of the WWII historical info tour and Documentation Tour but opted to do the alternative at the last minute.

Instead we did a tour of the Imperial Palace (which really isn't what I had in my mind when you talk about a Palace - no opulence here!). Had a fantastic guide, very informative with quite a lot of humour thrown in. The thing that strikes me is how willing the younger generation are to talk about the atrocities of war when others deny the holocoust ever happened.

Our tour of the "Palace" ended in downtown Nuremberg. As we approached market square, our first vision was that of police cars blocking the entrance into the square where they hold the Christmas Markets. Not only were there police cars blocking the entrance, but the police were armed with machine guns at the ready. After what happened in Berlin, it was quite alarming and yet comforting to know that they were being extremely cautious of potential threats.

Nuremberg Kristkindlemarkdt is apparently the largest and oldest Christmas markest in Germany. Was really sweet as they had kids performing Christmas Carols and while not exactly in tune, it really added to the atmosphere of a friendly, community market.

Back on board about 5.30pm set sail for Regensberg. Tonight we pass through the 3 deepest locks on the canal and having started going down rather than up.

Not far now Glenys to the Danube where we will be sure to raise a glass for Uncle Dud.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb