Bamberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bamberg
December 21st 2016
Published: December 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Cruising towards Bamberg through the Main - Danube canal and temperatures have dropped. Looking out the window there is a thick covering of frost and that has stayed around for most of the day. Usually we can get out to the front of the ship but they have kept the doors locked I presume because of the drop in temp.

Once we arrived in Bamberg we did a walking tour of the city past their version of Venice, through the towns cathedral, council buildings etc.

The guide was telling us that one of the Mayor's wanted to honour those killed by the Nazi's in WWII and pointed out a number of plaques that were embedded into the cobble stone payments. They are about 4 inches square and engraved with name of the person who died. There was controversy about the placement of the plaques in the pavement as some thought that it was disrectful to the deceased as people would walk on them. The Mayor's thinking was that people would stop to look, and because of the size of the plaque they would have to dip their heads to read what was engraved and that was in fact honouring the deceased. For me, I didn't even notice the plaques until they were pointed out as the whole time I had my eyes looking up as the architecture in the city.

We only had 3.5 hours in the city and the guide so good and took so much time explaining the sites it left very little time to see the market.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.378s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb