It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
July 14th 2015
Published: July 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

A meeting was called and all delegates of the adventure gathered around the majestic dining table in Claude's east wing. The question put to the intrepid travellers was " where shall we go next?" Immediately your correspondent suggested we all go to the campsite bar as there seemed to be an endless supply of very cold beer available. Cusco the Chief Spaniel suggested going for a swim in the river as he found that rather refreshing, but then Wendy the Navigator said " let's go to Nuremburg" and that dear readers, is exactly what we did.

The journey from Wurzburg passed without incident, apart from the issue of your correspondent trying to remember if he or Cusco was driving, and we arrived in a town called Roth. Now, there was a very good reason we stopped in this town - our campsite was here . It was, and still is, situated beside a lake and surrounded by a forest -but not the black one, that is for the future. I say a forest, but a lot of trees would be a better description and that leads us to today's question. " If a tree fell down in a forest and nobody was around to hear it, would it still be the man's fault ???"

Our navigator and spaniel were both very keen to get swimming in the lake, while I put my mind to solving the beer problem, ie. I did not have any and there were no nearby shops. I tell you, a lot of you do not realise how hard this travelling lark is..... but I soon found a vending machine and promptly used up all our 2 euro coins that Wendy keeps for boring things like washing machines and showers !!! It was not by fluke that we ended up in Roth. Our super fit and athletic friend and husband to Philippa the Welsh woman, Allen was due to compete in the Iron Man triathalon in Roth only a week after our arrival. As advanced scouting party, the first thing we noticed was that the temperature was in the high 30s - this led your correspondent to find a bar to cool down in and contemplate swimming, running and cycling hundreds of kilometres in such conditions. Needless to say the contemplation did not last very long - such people are MAD, MAD, MAD although amazingly fit. I know they are fit because Wendy the Navigator constantly told me about all the fit guys in the campsite where the athletes were staying.

The main reason my contemplation stopped was by the discovery of something staggeringly unusual on the bar menu. We looked at it several times before Wendy decided to take the plunge and order it . Dear readers, sit yourselves down before reading any further for she ordered ....spaghetti ice cream !!!!!! Try to imagine spaghetti covered in ice cream and fruits of the forest. Cusco announced he would have nothing to do with such a thing and fell asleep. There will be photographic evidence attached to prove this dish.

By the means of public transport we entered the city of Nuremburg - perhaps the most important city of WW2 . It was here that the rallies of the Nazi party led to them taking total control and atrocities, to the trials which could be claimed to act as the final act of the war. Your correspondent visited the rally ground and Nazi documentation centre and was taken aback to be stood in the midst of such history. It is not for me to lecture anybody on rights or wrongs but it is important that people learn the lessons from Nuremburg to stop a one party, all powerful state doing whatever the hell it wants . Meanwhile in Scotland....

Nowadays, Nuremburg is a lovely city where many different people of many different races mingle together and go about their daily lives - probably the most fitting answer to what had happened before.

The rest of my time here consisted on being dragged all the way up a steep hill, past several hostelries ( apparently Germany is famed for it's beers- if only I had known) , so a photograph could betaken of the local castle or burg as the locals like to call them, before being dragged all the way back down !!!! It was a good excuse to stroll round the streets of this great place . We should come to Germany more often methinks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



15th July 2015
Spaghetti ice cream

Daily laugh!
I've been meaning to comment on your highly entertaining blog for a while, but being a newbie to this site..... I've only just discovered how to! We have just bought our first motorhome " Bertie" and look forward to many enjoyable travels! All of your places are on our agenda at some point so, not only are they fun to read, they are also going down in my diary! We live in Spain so are lucky to be able to use Bertie most of the year. Thank you for my daily laugh over my cafe con leche!
15th July 2015

I always enjoy reading your blogs...
humorous and friendly. Europe really has had a hot summer!

Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb