BMW European Delivery - Day Four


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
February 17th 2015
Published: March 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The original plan I had in my head was to spend this day cruising the environs in and around Nurnburg. No particular plan - just a day in the new car. However the dawning of the day brought a foggy. miserable day with the hint of snow in the air. Hoping things might eventually clear the wife and I took a leisurely breakfast before heading out to look for a bank. But time was not on our side and th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 90, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

LunchtimeLunchtime
Lunchtime

Neither one of us were exactly starving after our big breakfast but knowing we had over three hours worth of guided tours on our plate we decided we better grab some grub while we could. I was also a little concerned about whether we'd find any restaurants available on Fasching night. As it so happened there was no need for that concern.
GoulaschsuppeGoulaschsuppe
Goulaschsuppe

I started my meal off with this family favorite. The Burgwächter served a huge bowl of hot, thick, tasty Goulasch soup that I was reluctant to share with Gail. Best of all, they provided me with a basket of fresh home-made bread that I used to clean the bowl. By the time our Nürnburgerwürsts im Semmel arrived I forgot all about taking pictures. They were quite adequate.
Gluhwein for GailGluhwein for Gail
Gluhwein for Gail

Although it wasn't nearly as cold as being back home, escaping the cool damp Nuremburg weather beside a warm fire and hot beverages was welcome.
Soup and SammySoup and Sammy
Soup and Sammy

My Goulaschsuppe was a bit too hot but my Wurst showed-up fairly quickly. For once I remembered to take a picture of my meal before devouring it. Having had a huge breakfast a few hours earlier helped. These tiny little Nurnburger Wurst were amazing. I should've ordered three.
Going Down UndergroundGoing Down Underground
Going Down Underground

Tour Number One was through the tunnel complex dug under the city streets near Sankt Seebaldus. Here we are entering the more modern section beneath that Albrecht Durer statue. It was used by the Nazis as a command post and bomb shelter.
World War II Era FuseboxWorld War II Era Fusebox
World War II Era Fusebox

Although it's been slightly modernized this ancient fusebox still controls power in the tunnel network. Just in case, our guide carried a pair of flashlights.
This Was a Little UncomfortableThis Was a Little Uncomfortable
This Was a Little Uncomfortable

We were warned we'd be walking through a maze of low ceiling tunnels. I didn't realize it would be for quite so long. I walked hunched-over for so long that my back hurt for the rest of the trip. It was worth it though.
Naturally Cooled WarehouseNaturally Cooled Warehouse
Naturally Cooled Warehouse

These tunnels were man-made. The soft sandstone crumbles easily upon just a touch so the locals didn't need to expend too much effort hollowing out the maze of corridors and siderooms deep beneath their homes and shops. Because we were deep underground and due to the atmospheric conditions items like produce and meat could be stored here for longer periods without spoiling. Later it was also used for aging booze.
Beer Brandy StorageBeer Brandy Storage
Beer Brandy Storage

I never heard of this before, but I knew that the making of whiskey was very similar to making beer. Whiskey is just distilled beer.
Modern Day DistilleryModern Day Distillery
Modern Day Distillery

As the tour ended and we emerged from underground our guide took us to this little shop where a local beer brandy is made. The smell in Ayrer's distillery was wonderful. We didn't spend long inside because the next stop was the barrel storage area.
Barrel Storage AreaBarrel Storage Area
Barrel Storage Area

These wooden casks are made in America. This outfit, just like the Scotch producers in Scotland, buy American whiskey companies' old barrels. Somehow our whiskey being worked into the oak adds flavor to the Europeans' blends. So I guess they need us for something.
I'd Love to Have This Barrel When They are Done with ItI'd Love to Have This Barrel When They are Done with It
I'd Love to Have This Barrel When They are Done with It

It would fantastic in my man cave. From here we went to the Ayrer's shop where we were allowed a taste of some of their concoctions. Gail liked their red beer and I preferred the dark wheat beer brandy.
Now for the WII Art BunkerNow for the WII Art Bunker
Now for the WII Art Bunker

We had the same guide a few minutes later when the tour of the World War II art bunker commenced. At first I was afraid that this was going to be an old WWII bunker re-decorated by some long-haired hippies into some kind of peace and love memorial.
Old Nazi Air Defence PosterOld Nazi Air Defence Poster
Old Nazi Air Defence Poster

Instead this tour took us into what was a top secret Nazi facility. Here the bad guys hid the priceless art from local churches and museums deep underground when the Allies began bombing the snot out of Nazi Germany. As the War continued more and more precious art and relics were stored under Kaiserburg castle.
"The Enemy Sees Your Light!""The Enemy Sees Your Light!"
"The Enemy Sees Your Light!"

"Darken" This poster warned German citizens to maintain blackouts when the Allies were bombing Germany, particularly at night. I didn't realize that very early in the War, even when the British were losing ground everywhere, the RAF was staging attacks deep into Germany.
And on Into the VaultAnd on Into the Vault
And on Into the Vault

Her guide conducted the tour in German for the majority of our group. We had headsets that picked-up the audio from various numbered transponders throughout the tunnels, sans anecdotes and any humor. From time to time the guide would check to make sure we were getting the whole deal clearly and would toss in one of his jokes.
FakeoutFakeout
Fakeout

Some of us almost fell for this poster on one of the doors. That would've hurt.



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb