Auf Wiedersehen Germany! For Now...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
January 31st 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

HELLO!

I know its been a while since I’ve updated, but see, I usually updated my blog on long train rides, and I haven’t had one in a while. So I finally found time to get allll up to date. So here we go!


I’ll start where I left off, heading into Augsburg. We stayed there for 2 nights, but only really one day. We spent a bunch of our time in the local Christmas market, as usual, but then decided to go exploring a bit. We went and checked out the town cathedral, and warmed up there a bit. It was kind of a cold day. We then went and checked out a house which Mozart lived in for a time, and learned a bunch about his life. The last stop of the day was to see where my mother was born! So we made our way out of town and though the place isn’t exactly there any more, I was told the name of the area and we were able to find it! Mission accomplished.

So after our short stop in Augsburg, we set off for Munich. There we stayed in our first YMCA and it was quite lovely. It was supposed to be a triple room, but we had no roommate the entire time we were there, so it was basically a private room. Which really was a good thing, because our backpacks kind of exploded everywhere. Oops.

Since Munich was our last stop in Germany, we wanted to soak in as much of the Christmas market goodness as we could. We spend most of our first day wandering around the different ones around town, but after doing so, we really realized that nothing has so far surpassed the amazingness that were the Cologne Christmas Markets. They were awesome. The rest have been good. Just not quite as good.

The next day was spent sleeping in and relaxing for the morning, and then taking an afternoon train up to Stuttgart to see my friend and former tent-mate (from my Tanzania safari!) Melanie! We had one day left to use on our euro-rail passes and she was only a mere 1.5 hours away. Perfect. We met up with her in the afternoon, and she showed us around her town’s Christmas market. It was lovely to have a real German explain things to you and order for you! Haha it was also great to see her again.

Up next was our requisite walking tour day, but sadly this wasn’t the best of days. We started off by sleeping in, missing the free breakfast and the walking tour we wanted to be on and having to take the later one. Then it was soo cold and rainy that we quit the tour early (a first for us) and stopped for a coffee to warm up. However, we took too long doing so, and ended up missing the only thing we wanted to see that day (the Rezidence) by 10 mins! Talk about bad luck!

Good thing for us, the next day dawned bright and sunny and everything worked out much better. We headed out on a tour to Dacau Concentration Camp, and though this is not a happy tour to be on, it was a much better day than the previous one. We had a lovely tour guide who was very knowledgeable about the Concentration Camp, and we both felt that it was a good experience to have had.

However, since I don’t want to leave on a depressing note, I’ll tell you about our last German dinner! We went out to Augustina Brewhouse and had awesome sausages and potatoes, accompanied by the very beer the pope himself chooses to drink! It was a good German send-off for sure


Advertisement



Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb