Prost!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

From beer halls to concetration camps, Munich's history is like no other in Europe! After our vacation time in Greece, switching over to the cultural aspect was great. As some of you will know, Germany is doing extremely well in the world cup right now. When we landed in Munich, we exited the airport to a HUGE crowd of people infront of a giant tv screen watching the game in which germany was 1 goal up on argentina. The crowd was going wild! Even some people we were talking to on the train said that it was totally unexpected that they should beat argentina, but they ended up doing it and i think are in the quarter finals now. there is actually a game on later today, which might be over by the time this is posted. But we're very excited to sit down, have a drink and watch the game in Berlin! Even after their win against argentina, the city was alive. It reminded me of the olympics, maybe down a couple pegs haha. but everyone was honking, yelling, waving flags, had face paint.What's really interesting about that is, as a tour guide had told us, that up until 2004, german citizens were not known to ever wave their flags or show that they were proud to be from germany. Soccer is something that has made germans proud to be from germany and cheer for their nation. It's sad to think that because of their history, they couldn't even wave their country's flag in fear of their pride being mistaken for nationalism. It was really something to see so many people proud to be german because they should be. Being here, you see how far they are ahead of a lot of coutries in terms of their technology and engineering and they do everything with such efficiency. And the people are so friendly and offer to help you with whatever you need.
Something that sets germany apart from other countries with a negative history is that they are brutally honest and open about it. They don't deny it like some cultures, but they study it and allow people from all over the world to come and learn about it just so that it won't happen again. There is even a german word that means 'to come to terms with one's past.' The old concetration camp of dachau is now a memorial site where most of everything is still intact and open to the public so anyone who wants to see it and learn about it can go. We went a couple of days ago.
Getting off the bus a couple hundred meters from the concetration camp, you would have no idea it was there. The small town of Dachau is so beautiful, with lots of trees and brush. But that's the whole point, the camps were tucked away from the main town so the people knew they were there but not exactly what was going on inside them. The main gate, the only way in or out, has an iron message on it saying (in german) 'work will set you free.' Which is misleading because the people brought here figured if they worked harder, they would be let out faster. But there was no chance of them being let out at all. I won't go through all the history of dachau, but it was the leader of all concentration camps, and the model by which they all followed. Punishment and torture methods were all tried here, so pretty much everything down at all the other camps, was done here first. When a person was brought there, they lost all personal possesions, all rights of a human being...they even lost their name and were only known as the number sewn on their uniform. Their identity was down to that a a colored triangle, depening on the color...it told SS gaurds why you were there. Whether it be polital, homosexual, jewish or whatever.
Walking through some areas of the camp, i was literally chilled to the bone. It's hard to even think about but the part that people have a lot of trouble with is the gas chamber and the crematorium. Going through these areas, you're overcome with a feeling like you've never experienced before. It's so sad to think of the hundreds of thousands of people who died here for no reason. And treated so terribly. The torture methods and living conditions were enough to make you sick. The camp leaders were terrible, disgusting people who took pleasure out of people's pain. For example, one of Dachau's camp leaders was a patient in a mental hospital the day before he was assigned leader. Anways, I'm sure you all get the idea of what it was like being at a place like that. It's true that it's a learning experience though, I'm really glad we got to go and see that part of history, as horrific as it is. And it shows you how important it is that we don't let it happen again.

Munich history does have a lot to do with wolrld war 2 because this is where hilter started his nationalist party for the workers. Another important part of munich...is it's beer! We did a free walking tour and learned a lot of how the biggest brewerys in Munich have actually saved the city and buildings in it by giving beer or their earnings. And do they ever make good beer! We did a beer challenge one night, where we went to 4 of the biggest beer halls and beer gardens in the city. Lets start off by mentioning that they ONLY sell 1 litre glasses. This is a big freaking glass of beer! Needless to say i was pretty shmammered at the end of the tour because you have to get a beer from every place! We started out at the infamous Hofsburgh (????) house. The biggest beer hall in the city, it seaks 4000 people for eating and drinking! There are locals who have the privilege of their own tables as well. How you earn this is by going for a beer at least 3 times a week for 15-20 years. As a reward for their loyalty, they receive a key which unlocks their own stein that is kept at the hall, and chips that pay for the beer instead of money! And ofcourse their own spot, and if someone is sitting in their spot when they get there, you're kicked out of it! These old men are hilarious....they come dressed up in lederhosen and crazy hats with their big crazy moustaches! In the past, women were not allowed in there unless they were serving. So now that women are allowed, these guys love to have you come over and sit with them! Great photo op. Yes ofcourse i went over and had a beer with them! We went to 3 beer gardens after this, and as it turns out the night get a little hazzy. I do remember being at the Augustina beer gardens and ordering the preffered beer of the pope! It was delicious. He has good taste. Now what tourist in Munich doens't want a souvenir beer stein? None. We're all waiting for the perfect opportunity to get one! You could do it the easy way and go to the gift shop to get you're very own brand new one. Or, you can try to smuggle out the very glass you enjoyed your icy cold beverage in. I choose option number 2.
So I've downsized my purse since being here and it's not as big as one would hope when walking out of a beer garden with a 1L stein. I had my doubts if it would fit, but it just barely did! As i was in the middle of cramming my augustina stein in my little purse, a worker comes up collecting glasses. Caught with my hand in the cookie jar. I say 'sorry' and out it down....he says he doesn't care. So i shoved it in and got the hell out of there! hahaha. The guy on the tour with us said he's never seen a worker let someone take it, so i sure got lucky. The downside to succeeding...is that i have to carry this heavy thing around for another 3 weeks!! haha but i'll manage with some expert packing.
Never in my life did i think i would enjoy sausages, saurkraut, and soft pretzels so much!! Our first meal out in munich i got a sausage platter. Bad idea!! there were sooo many sausages. But i did my best and it was easy with the delicious mustard they serve it with! We've been taking full advantage of the cultural food in every country we've been to. They're all so different it's hard to pick a favourtite. All so good though, mmmm. This is making me hungry thinking of them all. haha

Oh i almost forgot. Something that i really liked about Munich was that they knew during world war 2 it would be obliterated. So they started taking pictures and drawing everything around the city. That way they could rebuild everything just like it was before the war. and that's what they did!! right down to tiny details. So a building that looks like it was built 400 hundred years was ac tually built after the war! but ofcourse meant to look old. Really neat idea. Most of germany just built brand new, where munich wanted to preserve it's past.

In a couple hours we'll be in Berlin and really cannot wait!!! There will be so much to see and do there. I'm sure the time will fly by and I'll be telling you all about it soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb