Day 21 & 22 - Munich & the BMW Museum


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
April 19th 2010
Published: April 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 21 of our trip mostly consisted of the train ride from Berlin to Munich.
We left Berlin at 7.50a.m. and arrived in Munich at 2.20p.m. - which felt like a very long time to be in a train! Luckily it was relatively empty and we were able to stretch out a little bit. And we didn't have to hunt through the carriages for spare seats as there were quite a few.

When we arrived in Munich we headed to the A&O Hostel on foot, as it appeared to be quite close on the map. Unfortunately, it was the wrong one. There are two of them in Munich and there is nothing to distinguish them from one another except for the street names. We had only walked about ten minutes to this hostel (and it was in the right direction to the other one) but we were so sick of carrying our bags that we called a cab to take us to the right one!

By 3.30 we were all settled in the hostel, and headed off for a walk to see if we could find any food (the food on trains is dreadful so after having a really gross breakfast we didn't bother with lunch) but almost everything was shut because it was mid-afternoon. We got a few things from a bakery (it looked like they had heaps of food, but most of it was display food and not for sale!) and then went to NORMA, which is like ALDI, and got some snacks and walked back to the hostel.

While we were walking we had seen two Indian restaurants and decided to go back to one of them for dinner that night. By about 7p.m., after chilling out at the hostel for a while, we headed out again, and were too lazy to walk to the one fifteen minutes away, so we went to the one two minutes down the road. This turned out to be a brilliant choice (points for laziness!) as the food was amazing, and the service was even better. The guy who owns it was the nicest ever, and managed to wait on the entire restaurant almost single-handedly.
We walked back up the road feeling very happy and enjoying the feeling of chicken korma in our stomachs. Mmm.

The next day (Day 22) we went to the BMW Museum. We caught a tram and then a train and walked for a while until we got to the museum. It looked brilliant from the inside, and was even cooler on the inside.
I really only organised this for Danny, as I was pretty sure he would enjoy it - and he really did, he was more excited about it than the beer tasting in Belgium. But I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it as well.
Anyone who has any kind of appreciation for technology, aesthetics, cars, motorbikes, F1 (I saw my first real F1 car, very cool) design, or architecture would have loved this place. The building itself was incredible, the way it was designed and the way the displays were set up... they had touch screen projectors all over the place where you could read about the history, different cars, etc.
The very first thing on the self-guided tour of the museum was this cool display with hundreds of little balls attached to something like fishing line that moved about in waves, and then formed the shape of a car while a voice-over talked about the goals of BMW.

I took over 200 photos, so I'll only post some of them, but they should give some idea of how cool it was. I totally recommend it to anyone who goes to Munich. In fact, go to Munich just to see it.

After this we headed into the city centre with the intention of shopping for some souvenirs, but it was crazily busy (apparently that is normal for a Saturday afternoon) and we could hardly move for all the people, so after about a half hour of this we caught a train to the next station out from the city centre to try and find some food.
We found a pizza hut, which was very different to Pizza Hut in Australia. For a start, the service was incredible! And then the food was really good too. We were very pleasantly surprised!

We headed back to the hostel as both of us had completely aching feet from walking around the museum, but it was so worth it for such a fantastic day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 90, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



20th April 2010

Cooooooooooooooool
I wanna go there. I hope I have time as I'm now gonna spend a day to go see Schloss Neuschwanstein, which leaves me 1 full day in Munich, but well we all know how much I love BMW's so I'm sure I'll get there before other stuff =p

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb