Germany's made of beer and efficiency


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
February 20th 2006
Published: February 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We went to Munich last weekend after Hadrian's Villa. The ground was covered in snow as they'd just had a big snow storm. It made everything gorgeous. We took the train through the Austrian Alps and that was quite beautiful as well. Upon arrival we made our way to Wombat's City Hostel, which is apparently famous as hostels go. After arriving we took the front desk guys advice and walked to a nearby Bavarian restaurant where the food was awesome as was the beer. They served Augustiner which is a Munich brewed beer and an apparent symbol of the city. We then made our way to the bar district to drink a few more and catch a little jazz show before bedtime. You wouldn't think sitting on a train for ten hours would tire you out so much. In the morning after getting ready we headed for Marienplatz. This is where the town hall is that houses the Glockenspiel(a little clock with bells and puppets and crap). We had hoped to eat lunch at a nearby Mexican restaurant, but they were closed so in consideration of money we sold our souls to the burger king resting next door. After lunch we went to a cluster of large museums on the north side of town. One was paint and sculpture from the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries. The other was a very cool museum of modern art. after the museums we took the metro to the olympic park to see some very nice architecture. On the way to the metro we'd stumbled upon a Richard Meier building which, for those who don't know, was easily recognized as just that. Just next to the olympic park is the BMW headquarters, but it was closed so we decided to go to the English Garden, an enormous park(twice the size of central park) in the northeast corner of Munich. With the snow on the ground it was amazing. After walking through the park we decided to head for the Hofbrauhaus, probably just the most famous beer hall in the world, no big deal. We met some crazy Aussie guys there and I drank my dinner. We were there till pretty late although I really can't say when cause it all got kinda fuzzy after the 5th liter of their wonderful Dunkel beer. We were in no condition to continue the night after Hofbrau so we metro-d our way back to the hostel and crashed. That morning we had to get up and catch a train which wasn't too bad despite some residual dizziness and disorientation. I must say the train ride back was not as pleasant as the train ride going though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

whoa!whoa!
whoa!

how many spaces are you in right now?
olympic groundsolympic grounds
olympic grounds

right after playing in the snow


20th February 2006

Hofbrau
Five litres of Hofbrau Dunkel ! On my last visit in 1999 , I had two and was sufficiently buzzed. Must've been a rough train ride back to Rome !

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb