Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
May 31st 2008
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Back in Germany, but this time - Munich... The city of Monks...
I think in my past life, I was from Munich. Nothing else explains my passion for beer, skiing and bike riding.

This blog is going to be short and sweet... The german keyboards are hard to type on, im hungry, we leave tomorrow, and there is a beer garden within 5 minutes walk from here.

Thursday


We arrived in Munich at 6am after an over-night train ride from Budapest, it was a cramped up sleeper with two beds that i only just fit into. I found it hard to sleep on the train. It was very bumpy and noisy, but we made it.
Since we had the whole day ahead of us, we decided to go to the Dacau Concentration Camp. It was the first Concentration Camp setup, and the model concentration camp that all the others were built from.
We made the mistake of paying for a tour guide... He was good, but was really into explaining his views of politics rather than explaining things about the camp, and showing us around properly - but, we still enjoyed it.
On our return to Munich, we were buggered, so we went for a nap before getting up and going to the Beer Garden in the English Gardens. The English Gardens is a huge park-land (the biggest in the world) in the city of Munich. It has waterfalls, rivers, naked bathers, hundreds of kilometeres of bike paths, and a beer garden! I wouldnt call it a beer garden - id call it a beer forrest. Its massive, with thousands of people there, tables, chairs, beer, food, beer, massive pretzels, and beer!!!! Its great. The weather was perfect for it, so we enjoyed a few litres of beer and some traditional beer garden food while we the sun went down..
We then had a fantastic idea! Lets go to another one!!! So, we jumped on the underground and hit the famous Hofbrauhaus. This place is also massive, but i prefered the beer garden better because it was outside. Although, the Hofbrahaus had traditional oom-pah bands, and all that jaz.
Once we had enough beer, we stümpled back to our hostel.

Friday


We couldnt do Munich without a bike tour, so Friday, bright, early and slightly hung-over, we went for a bike tour. They took us to all the major sights in Munich, then back to the beer garden in the English Gardens for a pit-stop before a few other hot-spots.
Once the bike tour ended, we had another nap, then went out to explore the other beer hall and gardens in Munich. They were good, but the English Gardens is still my favourite.

Saturday


Today, we hired our own bikes and went cruising... The bikes were toys rather than bikes, but they did the job... We went back through the old town centre, had a look at the sights, took more photos, before cruizing thru the English Gardens, and before we knew it, we were back at the beer garden, enjoying more beer! We cant seem to get enough of that place!! After a few beers, we returned to the room for another nap. After this blog, well hit the beer gardens again... But, we need to get up early. We need to be on the 7:15 train to Zurich!

Next stop: Lucerne for 1 night, followed by Interlarken - Switzerland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

MarienplatzMarienplatz
Marienplatz

The old town square
The Beer GardenThe Beer Garden
The Beer Garden

English Gardens


1st June 2008

Switzerland
Hello Gentlemen, looks like you are having a great time. Didn't I tell you the Munich beer halls where huge? Did you try some of the traditional german sausages, they love there meats and beer? There is a belief that if you are not wearing a watch made in Switzerland it stops working soon after your arrival into the country. So watch out. Have fun, looking forward to more blogs and emails....Zio

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb