Spring Break 2008


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
March 25th 2008
Published: March 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This is extremely overdue! I trust everyone is doing well. I just arrived back my spring break. It was not the typical spring break sitting on the beach sipping pina coladas and looking at girls. I went to Munich Germany and Prague Czech Republic. The whole trip it was below 30 degrees with high winds and flurries. Not fun.

First I arrived in Munich and was greeted by a German soldier with a German Shepard at customs. The dog sniffed around me and decided to jump on my chest. I was very freaked out and was escorted to a back room. They checked all through my bag and all my personal belongings. They interrogated me and thought that I was bringing drugs or something else into their country. Worse was when the German asked me if I had anything in my underwear. I immediately said no, and he asked me if I was sure, which I said no again. I guess he thought I was liar as we went to a private room, and I had to drop my pants. After all of that I was on my way for a Bavarian adventure.

Munich was awesome. We visited Marienplatz which is the main square with the new and old Town Hall. Some of Munich was destroyed by WWII such as the Old Town Hall. At the old town hall we saw the infamous Glockenspiel, a clock with moving parts, that struck at 11AM everyday. We visited the English Gardens which is one of the largest city gardens in the world, bigger than Central Park. But enough of the sights, Munich is known for their beer. We drank the whole trip sampling all the different types of beer. Every different brewhouse had their own beer coming out of an old wooden barrel. We visited the infamous Hofbrahaus as we drank beers that were bigger than my head clanking our beers to the live band. I don't know any German, but one word that is necessary to learn is cheers which in German is "Prost".

While we were in Munich we took a half day trip to the Dachau, the Nazi concentration Camp. Of course it was a trip that we did not want to take but we were glad that we went after. It was snowing while we were there and I could only imagine how the prisoners felt during the cold winters with the provisions given.

To get to Prague, we took an overnight train. We made multiple stops and one was a 4 hour stop in Regensburg Germany from 2-6. We were just about to fall asleep in the train station, but as soon as we sat down we were escorted about by the local authorities. So what should a bunch of Americans do if we have no place to go? McDonalds!!! But of course it was 2:00AM and even McDees was closing so we found a WitchBar with all sorts of witch memorabilia. It was truly a strange sight. Of course we made friends while we were there but it was truly an adventure.

Once we arrived in Prague, we did not waste time in seeing the sights. We went to Old Town, where there was a huge celebration for Easter with tents and vendors. We saw the world famous astronomical clock, which was uneventful. In addition to the clock we went and walked along the St. Charles and saw the river. It was very beautiful. We went on top of the bridge and had great views up there of all the red roofs of Prague. We also walked around the Jewish quarter which is quite large. We saw the Old-new synagogue and the Jewish Cemetery which was good to see. My favorite attraction of Prague was Prague Castle. It started in the 9th century and St. Vitus's Cathedral is very cool.

After getting back from my adventure, I was glad to be back in Barcelona. Every time I go away it is always good to come back home, my new home Barcelona. I am excited this weekend because the Wolls are invadiing Barcelona. Rita, Dave, Martin, Mariya, and her mom are all coming to visit, and next week we are going to Rome, so stay tuned........


Additional photos below
Photos: 160, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

P3170108P3170108
P3170108

2nd Window was where Hitler decide to be prejuidice against the Jews
Random DudeRandom Dude
Random Dude

We had to sit with random people. This guy was so drunk he was spitting on himself and jamming out with band


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb