Munich and Nueshwanstein Castle


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After relatively short train ride from Lucerne we were back in Munich train station where we had been only 4 days earlier. After crossing the road from the station we arrived that the Wombats Hostel. It was very easy to tell from the moment we walked in the door that this was by far an away the best hostel that we have stayed in so far.

We checked into our 6 person room, which was pleasently empty and set our to see a little of Munich. We walked down Marienplatz whose Melbourne equivilant in the Bourke St Mall. We quickly located the Hofbrahaus so we didnt waste n e time finding it the following night. We ventured back to the Wombats Bar for a feed and a few cheap beers and cocktails during happy hour. It was pretty early to bed as we all feel the effects late in the day on dreaded 'travel days'.

The next day the girls were keen to hit the shops in Marienplatz so after making our way down there we found that it was a public holiday and all the shops were closed. After a short walk we went back to the hostel for the afternoon in preperationf or our night at the hofbrahaus. As hunger was setting in quickly we headed down there bout 6pm, as Steph was deperate for her schnitzel and mash and she defiantely was not disappointed. BEST EVER. We met two nice girls from Sydney who we joined and got stuck into some 1 litre beers and pretzels. After stuffing ourselves full of schnitzel, mash and apple crumble. As well as a good 3 litres of beer we made our way home.

The next day the shops were open so the girls were out in force and muz and i were reluctantly dragged behind. I turned out to be quite a good day with everyone aquiring a new piece of fashion. It was back to the Hofbrahaus for dinner that night and then back to wombats bar to watch the soccer and for more beers during happy hour. It was a good night....we met a guy who lives 5 minutes from me at home and a few Californians who we shared some beers with. Bed was found at roughly 3am after too many free jager shots.

The next day I rose at 9am to make my solo trip Fussen, 2 hours from Munich. It was well worth the trip. At Fussen is King Ludwig's II Fairytale Castle....the cast is called Neuschwanstein Castle and it is the castle that was used as the model for the one at Disneyland. It was truely amazing. After the 40 min hike to the castle I took a half an hour tour of the inside of the Castle which was quite amazing seeing when it was constructed. Afterwards I took a walk to Marienbrucke (Mary's Bridge), this is where the most spectacular views of the castle and the surrounding countryside were. After one too many photos I made the trip home.

After a long day I was ready for bed and no really looking forwards to another 7 hours on the train.....but was really looking forward to Budapest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



8th May 2007

Mad Ludwig
Hi Matt So so jealous but great piccies. Keep enjoying! lol
8th May 2007

Hey Matt
Loved this one of Munich and Ludwigs Castle. Poor Ross is hardly coping reading about your trip. He has to be sedated each night before viewing. lol Say hi to everyone and hope we can catch you soonxxx000
12th May 2007

OMG a castle
So glad you took lots of photos of the castle. Looks absolutely beautiful. Can't believe Mus didn't join you on this one, knowing castle's anywhere will be on my agenda! Keep posting as there are lots of us reading and waiting to hear all about it. Lots of love to you all and take care, Kaz XXXXOOOO

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb