Beer


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
March 17th 2007
Published: March 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After logging in yesterday, I went down to finish up laundry and get Bradley, but the door was locked. Somehow, I talked the staff into letting me into the service elevator (the bottom floor was supposed to be locked for the rest of the afternoon with no admittance for cleaning), and wandered aroiund the cavernous basement to find the bro. We gathered our belongings and set out for a monestary outside of town I had read about (supposed to have the best beer in all of Bavaria.... which says quite alot). It turned out to be alot more out of the way that I thought. We rode the commuter train for about an hour to the last stop (a small quaint town), then got out and followed very sporadic sign markings out of town (rarely sure if we were on the right path) to an hour hike into the woods. The small path forked and forked again.... but we just followed the notion, "we will surely know it if we have turned the right way." Whether but skillful navigation, or dumb luck, we stumbled upon the monestary. We toured it, then settled in for drinks (weissbeir, dopplebock, helles) and food (amazing hunk of pork, saurkraut, pretzel, sausage). The deck treated us to nice views over the bavarian countryside. Best of all (this native language qualification is quickly becoming something we prefer above all other aspects of travel) German was the only language we heard for many hours. I much prefer the rough vocabulary and pointing\motioning sporadically to get my point across to the easy way out of just relying on them to know some english. Its much more fun to be awkward, but with a genuine smile on my face. After we got our fill, we decided to walk the path back into town and the train station.... thing was, it was pitch black (with no moonlight whatsoever). So for an hour we gingerly traced what seemed like the trail by the moderatlz different contrast between it and the rest of the forest floor. It was more than a bit spooky, and occassionally we wondered whether we were on any trail at all (not to mention being on the correct one), but in the end we made it onto the train (after tripping a few times on roots, stones, etc). I contend that the monestarys brew aided in the navigation.

Now its the next morning. We are just messing around until we catch a train into our next port of call.... Fussen.

Oh, news.... I have been waitlisted at both Emory and NYU..... so the admissions process with now drag further into the summer (possibly as late at August).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb