beer city


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
June 21st 2005
Published: June 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

arrived here yesterday afternoon and went for a wander down to the city - marienplatz. it's really hot here now. 30ish. sooo sunny and nice. went on a beer garden crawl last night. was lots of fun with lots of people. went on a free walking tour of the city this morning. it was brilliant. probably the best tour i've been on - and the guy only worked only for tips - so you can give as much or as little as you like. it's so good. he was irish and very funny and knowledgable about the city, so the tour was really entertaining as well as educational. that lasted for about 4 hours as we stopped for lunch at a beer garden in the middle of a market. beer gardens are everywhere. it's a strange culture. you're allowed to drink beer in a beer garden from 14 years of age, then anywhere from 16. we were curious as to why there were so many underages drinking and no one cared - coz they're not actually underage. this afternoon was so good as well. went to the english gardens (nothing to do with the english language or the people) and sunbaked. there's a river running through them and what's called a surfer's wave. it's amazing what these guys can do. it's a stationary wave that is caused because of the massive current of the water onto a slightly rockier bottom. so these guys work so hard just to stand up, and then they do tricks and all sorts of things. when they've had their turn the either go to the edge or they jump off the back of the wave and get carried downstream a little bit and then get out. it's only about 15 metres wide so only 1 surfer at a time can go on. they look so funny waiting for their turn on the edge of the river holding their surfboard in their wettie!!! it was a great day. probably going out to the castle tomorrow. i can never remember what it's called but the disneyland castle is based on it. it might be niewschweinstein or something like that. should be fun.

Advertisement



21st June 2005

Wave
Lissy are you going to have a go on the wave? That sounds like soooo much fun. Also, the castle you were talking about may be familiar when you visit it because you went there when you were 5. This was one of the best that we saw, absolutely stunning. Hope you continue to have an absolute ball as it seems that you are in every message we receive. Love Nai

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb