Garmisch-Partenkirchen: Sheep and a bike ride


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Garmisch-Partenkirchen
September 16th 2018
Published: September 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The judges conferring on pointsThe judges conferring on pointsThe judges conferring on points

The judging was quite a process but similar to the agricultural days at home for animal judging
Our apartment owner had told us of a sheep showing day in Garmisch town. Being sheep owners, of course we had to have a look. At 9.30 it was in full swing in the main street. There were dozens of sheep all corralled into wooden pens, presumably each owner had a yard for his/her sheep. All the sheep were quite different than ours. They were big, like ours. Had long legs, like ours, but there the similarity ended. They had large rounded noses, long floppy ears, and wool that was long and straight and quite coarse. In a larger yard were the judges where contestants showed off each animal. The owners, mostly men, but one woman and one child, were dressed in traditional costume. This is obviously the mens day as it was them who wore the costumes today and not the women. I was particularly taken with some of the older men in their costumes and asked one group if I could photograph them. Strangely, some men wore half socks. They started at the ankle and finished below the knee and they wore shoes without socks. Strange indeed. It was most enjoyable to watch the crowd, the farmers and the judges. At a couple of stalls, in the street nearby were wool crafts - right up my alley. I asked 3 women spinning if I could photograph them as I am to give a talk to our weaving group on our return home. One even had an Ashford spinning wheel from Ashburton. The fine wool looked like NZ merino and the other wool was local wool mixed with alpaca. It was a bit coarse.

We took a walk through the nearby park then headed off out of town to find the bike rental place. We had the afternoon to spare so what better to do on our last day in Germany. Unfortunately, a couple of our choices took us alongside a busy main road so that didn't appeal. We chose to go back up the valley to Grainau near the Eibsee. The bike trail goes through little towns and farmland so is a nice ride apart from the fact that it's Sunday, the shops are shut, the sun is shining and it is warm - so, everybody was out and about so it wasn't exactly peaceful. I have to take back my words from yesterday as today there were heaps of women in shorts. Yesterday must have been that little bit too cold for them.

We had a nice cold beer in town and walked home to our very nice apartment for the last time. It's back to packing again and moving on. Since tomorrow is a travelling day I'll post some GaPa photos then as space doesn't permit for today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Three local ladies spinningThree local ladies spinning
Three local ladies spinning

The one nearest the camera has a NZ Ashford Spinning Wheel.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb