The Allgau Alps


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
June 3rd 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Allgau Alps


We have spent the last few days cycling in the foothills of the Allgau Alps, in southern Germany. We’ve had some beautiful views and also some typical mountain weather (rain, which I think we are finally getting used to!)
The famous Ludvig II Neuchwanstein castle looked very mystical in the rain, if not quite matching the postcard view.
The Allgau region is very pristine, with intricately carved mountain chalets and neat geranium window boxes and many speciality farm products are sold here.
The beer in this region is also very good, with small breweries still using large copper vats and only putting 3 ingredients in their beer (malt, hops, and water). They’ve only been adding hops since the middle ages! Nig has been the official taster for the tour and rates Allgau-benedictine most highly (think he’s tempted to become a monk!). They even make Radler (cyclist) beer, which comes mixed with lemon and tastes quite a bit nicer than your average shandy, and suits me well, even if it is a bit girly!
Apart from the rain, the one thing we have dreaded is the big trucks that spray cow poo all over the paddocks as a fertiliser- so far we have been lucky not to get showered with it, but it doesn’t smell very nice.
Our German language skills are failing us badly, none of the older people speak English, but they all comment on our bikes (I did understand one comment today directed at Nigel, saying he looked like he was carrying his house on his bike!) All we can say is ‘Enshultegung ze, Sprechen si English?’ which occasionally leads to a funny comment being translated into English, but usually they just shake their heads.
The next stop is Munich, on our way east to the Czech republic.

Trip notes


May 31 Day 47 Lindau to Immenstadt 66km
Followed Bodensee to Konigsee route and Deutsche alpine Strasse, near to German/Austrian border. Beautiful alpine views (Allgau alps, Zugspitze peak and the Tannheim mountains). Highest point 905m.
Camping 15.50 euro
Map 6.60
Food and drink 5.90 euro

Total = 28.00 euro

June 1 Day 48 Immenstadt to Schwangau 64 km
Bodensee to Konigsee route and Deutsche alpine Strasse
Steady drizzle all day
Highest point 985m Mittelberg
Camping with electricity 23 euro
Lunch in restaurant 20 euro
Supermarket 30 euro

Total = 73 euro

June 2 Day 49 Rest day Schwangau
Rode up to Neuchwanstein castle (Ludwig II)
Camping 23 euro
Laundry 3.50
Supermarket 27.40

Total = 53.90 euro.

June 3 Day 50 Schwangau to Diessen am Ammersee 74km
Followed Romantic Strasse (river Lech then cut across at Kinsau to Ammersee)
Mist on mountains, sun and cloud in afternoon.
Camping 18 euro
Food and drink 8.70

Total = 26.70 euro.






















Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



14th June 2007

Hello from Wimbledon
Dear Sonya and Nigel, It is such a treat to receive your blog with great pictures of your adventures. Thank you so much for the Castle postcard - what a lovely surprise! You will be missed at Kew Gardens this year. Enjoy your trip of a lifetime and your blog will be a best seller when you finish your travels. Love Lynne xx
17th June 2007

Love the travel brolley!! Might come in handy if one of those cow poo trucks gets too close. Looks like you guys are having a fab time of it!! Not sure how the bikes would go over here in the Andes though - sometimes even the buses struggle with the hills!! Keep the stories coming. We´re loving all your fab pics!!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb