The Birth of Hell (a.k.a. The First Protective Custody Camp)


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Dachau
April 27th 2008
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

In 1933, Hitler had recently gained power in Germany and needed a new place to imprison his political opponents. Thus was the birth of the Dachau Concentration Camp, or KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau. The city of Dachau is over a thousand years old, even older than its close neighbor of Munich, and the buildings of the concentration camp date back to WWI, when they were used as an armaments factory. W... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

DachauDachau
Dachau

Barracks. Beds from the last phase, about 1944-45.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Photo of prisoners in barracks.
DachauDachau
Dachau

The barracks bathroom. As the barracks are reconstructed, I can't say for sure if these are original toilets, but it does demonstrate that Dachau had indoor pluming.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Looking up the Camp Road towards the Maintenance Building. On either side of this road were the barracks.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Shows the foundations of where the barracks used to be located. And a guard tower.
DachauDachau
Dachau

A stone marker near the crematoriums, reads "keep in mind," or remember, those who died here.
DachauDachau
Dachau

The original crematorium, built in 1940.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Inside the original crematorium.
DachauDachau
Dachau

The second crematorium, Barrack X, built in 1942.
DachauDachau
Dachau

On the outside of Barrack X, the slots to hold the poison for the gas chamber.
DachauDachau
Dachau

In the "changing room," where the prisoners removed their clothing for the "showers," and the door that leads to the gas chamber and the room beyond where the dead bodies were to be piled to wait for cremation.
DachauDachau
Dachau

The "shower room," or gas chamber, in Barrack X. Notice how low the ceiling is, as to be more efficient when the gas was released from the vents on the ceiling. However, as noted in my blog, this gas chamber was never put into use.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Inside the crematorium, Barrack X, and three of the four ovens.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Detail of an oven in Barrack X.
DachauDachau
Dachau

A 1945 photograph of the piles of corpses waiting to be cremated that the American Troops discovered when they liberated the camp.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Monument in front of the Maintenance Building. Created by Nandor Glid in 1968, it represents the prisoners who threw themselves against the electric fence.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Monument.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Monument with the barracks in the background.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Medical Experiments. This man was dressed in a pilot's suit and placed in freezing water to test how to best rewarm the body. Photo taken between 1942-45.
DachauDachau
Dachau

Medical Experiments. This man was placed in the decompression chamber to test lack of pressure and oxygen. Photo taken between 1942-45.



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb