Rheinlandstraße


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Tübingen
May 26th 2006
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello all, our new address is:

John Sweeney and Kristian Payne
Rheinlandstraße 20
Tübingen 72071
Germany

We have both settled into the apartment and have bought a couple of things to make it a bit more comfortable. Since I last wrote and since Kristian returned from Munich we have been keeping ourselves busy by, after 3 and a half months of travel, relaxing and recovering. Its quite hard to describe how good it is to know that it will be sometime before I have to pack my bag again, and move to another place. You see although Kristian and I have become better travellers on this trip we are still somewhat last-minute about a lot of things so it was quite common for us to get to a hostel and then have to move rooms every morning for 3 mornings in a row in order have a bed there. And that means a lot of packing and unpacking.

Last weekend was spent attending more university events at night. Infact there is pretty much a student-related event on every night so most days follow a pattern of reading, eating, walking through town or playing basketball followed by dinner and
The quickest shepardsThe quickest shepardsThe quickest shepards

In Heidenheim for they have a race and the winners are crowned King and Queen of the shepards, seriously.
drinks at wherever people happen to be on that particular night. I always kind of felt that, due to the nature of the university course I did, that I never really was able to immerse myself in the uni life-style. Now I am getting that chance except I don't have to go to any lectures and there certainly isn't any exams.

Friday of last weekend was spent at a whiskey tasting organised by a friend of Anja's, Adrian. This fellow is quite serious about his whiskey. He is our age and spent some time in Scotland working at a distillers and learing the production process as well as how to judge a good whiskey. The set up was rather elegant, in the basement of the Theology school's residence, which is a very old building that managed to survive the war. It was very well set up and looked to be a great night, however 2 things weren't in our favour: Neither of us like whiskey nor do we speak German. So for 2 hours we sat and heard (in detail) about a drink we don't like in a language we don't understand. Having said that it was still a
The Salzburg TeamThe Salzburg TeamThe Salzburg Team

Notice the abundance of Redbull
good night, I felt that even though I probably wasn't getting as much out of it as the whiskey-loving-german-speakers, I still felt happy to be in Germany doing German things.

As of today it is now exactly 2 weeks until the start of the 2006 World Cup, I can't wait. Kristian and I have gotten in the spirit by buying a world cup beach towel each. Since we have spent the past 3 months using the most awful little towels that you get at the hostels, it was our mission to find the absolutly biggest towel we could find. And we did. These things could be used a some kind yacht sail, they are massive. Anyway I digress, the World Cup or the Welt Meisterschaft, as the Germans call it, is not far away and its as if the feeling is not one yet of excitement but one of I I want it to be now. Everyone has waited so long for this and now it is so close. Nearly every shop in Tübingen sells world cup related merchandise.

Australia has odds of 126 to 1 to win so it would be a great investment if they did win. I have been telling everyone that we are a sure thing and because most of them didn't even realised we played the game, some don't know if we are good or bad. Yeah, we're good, real good. I tell them. The biggest problem is that we have Brazil in our group who are 3.5 to 1 to win the whole tournament so they should have no trouble demolishing the Socceroos.

Well thats all for now, Hope everyone is well

John



Advertisement



28th May 2006

Hey Johnny and puddy, glad to hear your both having a ball. Don't underestimate our socceroo boys johnny!!! Must say i'm a little disappointed with comment that brazil will "have no trouble DEMOLISHING the socceroos". Just fill u in that we did just beat the european champions Greece on thurs night here in Melbourne 1-0 with an Australian team which didn't include 3 of our starters and who had only been training together for a few a days. Pretty good i think. Keep up the good work.

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb