Heilgenberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Heiligenberg
October 14th 2010
Published: October 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Heilgenberg (Third trip)



So we started of our trip to Heilgenberg by taking the S-bahn (trolley) up to Handschuscheim. From there you can take several walking paths and one road up to the top of Heilgenberg. (Heilgenberg is the hill, it is a BIG hill). We do not have a car so we decided to walk. It was a beautiful walk through the woods. The only hard part about it was it was all uphill for 2 hours. :O)
The first stop we made was at the beginning of philospher's way. This is a beautiful park and walking path where people go to just think. I guess. :O) It is gorgeous. But since it was not our final destination we only stayed for couple of minutes. We were going farther up the hill, to the top actually. So we started up and the directions to places are carved in rocks. I am afraid we got a little turned around and ended up zig zagging all the way up the hill but it was fun.
The first things we saw this amazing amphitheater. This was not even in our book. It was huge. We later googled it and discovered it was used by the Nazi's in the 1930's. We weren't sure if that is why it was not mentioned. Really neat place to bad its history takes away from it's beauty. We both thought it would be neat if it was used again for more positive events. Once we passed through there we came to an old Abbey. We weren't sure if it was St.Stephen's or St. Micheal's. It was all in ruins and pretty much had two towers and the crimbling walls of the rest of the rooms. Finally when we were done crawling around we found a wall to sit on and took a break. We enjoyed an afternoon snack of wine,pretzel, and grapes. We then made our way back down.

The funny part is it only took us 45min to get back down. LOL!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb