Heidelberg...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Heidelberg
December 21st 2014
Published: December 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Heidelberg....one romantic city!!

Germany's oldest university town is known for its baroque style of the old town (Altstadt)..lively university culture (oh boy do we know this one), and most stunning half ruined castle Heidelberg Schloss.

Many 18th & 19th century romantic poets, most notably Goethe spent many an hour being inspired by this beautiful city.

Today as you meander the ally's of the old town, finding half ruined buildings, the light the sound builds constantly making this city probably one of the most romanticized and romantic cities of all of Germany.





We have spent the last 6 days just wandering, enjoying coffee's, gluewein (of course) sampling many sausages in a roll in the markets to interesting array of meals at night. German food is somewhat stodgy...I guess you just can't have it all, hey! We met up at our old haunt from years past which again looks like it was the last time we visited. A place where news is discussed, everybody says hello as they walk through the tiny door way, and having a baileys coffee to warm up is quite acceptable. Even the delectable apple poppy seed cake was amazing, probably the best cake I have tasted...dont seem to have a sweet tooth these days (yay).





So, we used this time, to wander the ruins of the Schloss, destroyed by fire and is only now being slowly rebuilt. What an intersting time we had, heavy rain yes, but Mark had never seen this castle, and it was so much fun showing him around. We did a tour which opened up areas of the castle I dont even remember, so was time well spent. We slowly walked down the hill into the town...seemed to take forever, rain was heavy, laughter all the way at who's decision it was to madly walk back to town in the wet, cold and so on. But, the views were amazing, the old house and architecture was well worth being soaked through. and besides, gluewein works wonders in warming the bones.





Anyways, we leave this beautiful city today, we had a great night out last night we new acquaintances, the best way to finish off our stay. AS I finish this blog for Germany, the bells are tolling. It will go on for 15 minutes when the biggest of churches will ring the final bell on the hour....yep, its a beautiful sound...



I am just going to test putting some videos we did in the blog for Heidelberg. They are only a few seconds long each....enjoy

Casa del Caffe

[
">
]

The Cellar - Heidelberg Castle

[
">
]

Heidelberg Christmas Markets

[ ">
]

[ ">
]

[ ">
]

[ ">
]


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Heidelberg Castle at nightHeidelberg Castle at night
Heidelberg Castle at night
ice rink at the marketsice rink at the markets
ice rink at the markets
most unbelievable chocolate crepesmost unbelievable chocolate crepes
most unbelievable chocolate crepes
Xmas markets 1 of 5Xmas markets 1 of 5
Xmas markets 1 of 5


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb