Strasbourg - Alsace Region


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Strasbourg
December 22nd 2014
Published: December 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Strasbourg is the perfect overture to all that is idiosyncratic about Alsace – walking a fine tightrope between France and Germany and between a medieval past and a progressive future, it pulls off its act in inimitable Alsatian style. in a nutshell.....its everything thrown together to make an exciting city visit!



Tear your gaze away from that mesmerising Gothic Cathedral and in just a minute and you’ll be roaming the old town’s twisting alleys lined with crooked half-timbered houses à la Grimm. Then feasting in the cosiest of winstubs (Alsatian taverns) by the canal side in Petite France and marveling at how a city that does Christmas markets and gingerbread so well can also be home to the glittering EU Quarter s and France’s second-largest student population. But that’s Strasbourg for you, all the sweeter for its contradictions and cross-cultural quirks!

Roaming the alleys of the old town this morning brought back so many memories of our last time visiting Strasbourg with our son Lauchlan. Winding down, round and through so many nooks and crannies, its truly an exciting and amazingly beautiful city. Medieval days are at your doorstep as they clash straight in with the modern city of today and it all works together in total harmony!

Today, walking through the most beautiful Cathedral, was wonderful to see such beauty yet wondering also what was it like in those days, when built, when the people of the city visited this amazing piece of beauty. I can only imagine that they too walked the stone floors in wonder at such amazing beauty.

Anyway, after leaving the cathedral, we wondered the alleys, around through Petite France, along the waterways back up through Place Gutenberg back into the main area of the modern city, and of course, what would a French visit be without visiting Galleries Lafayette (dept Store) and most importantly (for me) visiting the Chanel counter!!!!!

Lunch was Le Gruber, we had noticed this restaurant last time, so now was the day to venue further inside! OMG, so many nooks and crannies but mostly it was packed. Now I understand that the French like to enjoy their food, so of course, service was exceptionally slow! With myself being such a patient person, this seemed to be an exceptionally painful experience, but husband to the rescue, and I was saved by much talk from the drum roll of the fingers. MMMM patience has never been a strong point with me, anyway, we survived, and had a delicious meal in taste at least, looks ...so so, of vegetable soup, Stew of Game meats and herbs & chocolate mousse! Absolutely delectable, but the photos don't do it any justice! You'll just have to imagine ok!

So tomorrow Dijon ....train trip finally! Hope you enjoy some of the photos from today's outing!

(sorry, cant upload file pics as the internet speed is...to say the lest atrocious!!!) will try from Dijon...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb