How could I forget?


Advertisement
Europe » France
September 5th 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.6044, 1.44295Brutal ... a 3-hour coughing fit last night, meaning I couldn't sleep until past 4 AM. My eyes are still pretty crusty, too. What's going on??? Showered, chiseled my eyes open, packed, and off to find breakfast. I saw a pretty yummy-looking pastry shop yesterday nearby, and ended up there. Having a few hours to kill before leaving, I wandered over to the central p... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

zdzd
zd

I really need some help with my French, since even the most basic words from the waitress went way over my head. I managed to point and order (my French accent is horrific, and speaking alone would not have gotten me what I wanted) - I went with the set menu, and got a forestiere crepe as the main. Mmm ... emmental, mushrooms, chunks of bacon ... so flavourful. French food is considered to be quite complex, but sometimes it can be so simple and so good. I thought the menu said there was a side salad, but it never came, and I didn't think to ask about it until I was already too full. The little carafe of white wine was horrid.
zeze
ze

Dessert crepe - chocolate with pear ice cream. A very nice combination.
zfzf
zf

Toulouse is located in Languedoc-Roussillon and the region historically was a part of Cataluna, not France, and they say the people identify more with Barcelona than Paris. The dual signage is common, with Catalan shown on the bottom here. This should not have been a surprise to me, since many of the mademoiselles here appeared to be Spanish senoritas that spoke French instead of Spanish. In other words ... Toulouse is a BEAUTIFUL place :)
ii
i

Not sure what this is, but pretty cool when illuminated like so.
jj
j

Toulouse's river, La Garonne.
kk
k

Fountain at Plaza Wilson.
zgzg
zg

Back to Le Capitole for a gelato - I actually chose sorbet, grapefruit-flavoured, and it was both good and bad. Good, because it tasted exactly like grapefruit, but bad because it taste exactly like grapefruit. Confused? It tasted so much like grapefruit that it also had the bitter pith flavour, which is bad. So it was actually good, because they did such a fine job of capturing the grapefruit flavour. It's always sad when the cone is the best part of it, and the sorbet wasn't as refreshing as I had hoped it would be.
zizi
zi

Plumbing running through a hole in the ceiling of the hotel room. Does anybody know what asbestos looks like? Does it look like anything that may be up in the ceiling? Occasionally, you could hear water pouring down the pipe - I hoped that it wasn't sewage, and if it was, that the pipe wouldn't leak or burst.
zhzh
zh

The eye drops that are helping to fix my crusty pie eyes.
zkzk
zk

As I lay in bed, I realized that something was amiss in the room ... was there a moth inside? No ... Was there an intruder? No ... it must be the toilet in the room. I just find it odd that a toilet was placed there, especially in a double room. If I was traveling with somebody, I definitely would NOT want to see them take a dump, nor would I want them to see me take one. Laying there, I also noticed another thing - the sheets here are positively luxurious compared to those at Pension Rosa, which were full of cigarette burn holes. I am unaccustomed to such extravagance while traveling!



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb