Like an impressionist painting


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
September 30th 2009
Published: September 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.9025, 5.2935

Lucy and I thought the impressionist paintings of Provence were just stylized to have those eye-popping ochre colors. Not true in Roussillon! Ochre from the red soil and rocks has been used in the stucco on the buildings in this village to gorgeous effect. They use contrasting paint colors on shutters, doors and other fixtures to gorgeous affect. If I come back, I think I will stay here. It was quiet and so beautiful. Again, it was so hilly that we watched a toddler giggling as she tried to walk down this treacherous landscape with no concern at all. Luckily, her parents each provided a steadying hand.

Most of the buildings in this valley are built with limestone from the local environment. There are meticulously tended stone walls all over the place, the valley is filled with lavender and grape vines and the roads are narrow and winding. This is the France I really wanted to see. Lucy wants to come back here one day in July to see the lavender in bloom. We understand that it gets harvested no later than mid-August. It is probably very hot and very crowded, but no-doubt worth it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Interesting detailInteresting detail
Interesting detail

in front of beautiful valley view
Pretty as a picturePretty as a picture
Pretty as a picture

So many grape vines, all over the place


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb