Marseille


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
April 22nd 2009
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.2983, 5.38322

Our last day. Our flight leaves out of Marseille in the evening so we thought we would spend the day in Marseille.
As it turns out this is one of those towns that doesn't have a ton to do. There are a couple of forts at the end on the harbor but neither was open for tourists. We did manage to get some good photos of the harbor. Marseille has a cool fish market, if that's what you want to call it. The fishermen leave at about 5am and return a few hours later
with their catch. They simply pull up to the end of the harbor and unload their catch. They set up these rudimentary tables and sell the still flopping around fish. Doesn't get any fresher than that. It was hot that day. In the sun we felt like we would melt. It didn't help that we both only had dark shirts left to wear. We found shade where we could. The sun worshipping by people that we so brown it looked unnatural was frightening . We also saw some natives wearing heavy coats. I would have died for sure. After walking to the end of one side of the harbor to find the fort not open to the public we took the water taxi across to the other side. About half way down the length of the harbor there is a free water taxi that goes back and forth all day. We were very thankful although as it turns out the other fort was closed as well. Let's just sit and relax until we have to catch our plane. Good idea!

We had a wonderful trip. The south o' France is really beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

One of the two fortsOne of the two forts
One of the two forts

We tried to tour both of the forts only to find out they were both closed.


Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb