Paris, the city of love.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
August 27th 2016
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.8566, 2.35097

Today we went to Paris again. We caught the very convenient Versailles to Paris train, and then switched to the Metro to Notre-Dame. Upon arriving, we stopped for coffee and a pastry in a cafe. We walked across the river to Isle-de-la-Cite. There was a very short line to get into Notre Dame Cathedral. The cathedral is large and impressive, though not as bright as Chartres. The rose windows are spectacular. There are some information placards that describe the very interesting construction history of the cathedral. Today is very hot and hazy (and we've seen Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower!), so we forego the walk to the top of the cathedral tower.
We then walk along the left bank of the River Seine, heading for the Musee d'Orsay. It is a romantic stroll, both at street level, and on the walkways at river level. Once into the area of the museum, we scout out a little restaurant just off the Boulevard St. Germain for lunch.
We continue in to the Musee d'Orsay. It is housed in an old railway station built in the late 1800s. After the building ceased to be usable as a railway station, it was slated for demolition. Fortunately, a decision was made to preserve the stunning Beaux-Arts building. The renovations make the structure worth a visit by itself! In two spaces within the building, the old clocks have been preserved, through which one can view Paris. The 5th floor is dedicated to Impressionist artists, and there are many wonderful original paintings by Monet, Sisley, Van Gogh, Gauguin, etc.
After a few hours at the museum, we headed back to the Metro, where we ran into Sonya, who had been off shopping. We then returned to Montparnasse for the return trip to Versailles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb