The painters walk


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
August 21st 2016
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.8626, 2.11105

Woke up to rain and a cooler day, but it did not stop us from our morning coffee stop! There was a long line up at the Boulangerie today and it continued the whole time we sat and enjoyed our coffee. Sonya again enjoyed her pastry fix!

After lunch the rain had stopped so we headed off on our planned hike. It was a route from Marly-le-Roi park to to the next town of Louveciennes. Along the seven kilometre walk there were display panels showing some paintings by Pissarro, Sisley, and Renoir. These three Impressionist painters lived and worked in this area. In 1870 both Pissarro and Sisley lost most of their early works during the Franco-Prussian War.

Along our walk we saw many grand homes with views of Paris. We also saw the remains of the site of the "Machine of Marly" which was built in 1684. It was an impressive feat of engineering drawing water from the Seine River to supply the fountains at the Palace of Versailles. It was an elevation gain of 500 feet, where it joined an aqueduct. The aqueduct is still standing today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



25th August 2016

WOW
25th August 2016

Thanks, Teresa! The parks here are lovely.

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb