Beautiful hillside villages and dramatic gorges.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 14th 2016
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.3014, 3.32025

We were off early today to start our overnight trip up through Gorges du Tarn. Our first stop was to view the amazing Viaduc de Millau. It is a long cable-stay bridge that spans the valley of the Tarn River. It is one of the world's tallest bridges. It is 343 meters in height which is 19 meters taller than the Eiffel Tower. It was amazing to drive across and stunning to view from a viewpoint. Definitely an astonishing engineering masterpiece! We then drove into the town of Millau and enjoyed a coffee and pastries.
We continued north through the Massif Central Uplands where we discovered two world heritage sites, the Cevennes and the Causses. The drive through the Tarn Gorges was very picturesque. Lots of steep rock faces, historical villages, chateaus, fortresses and churches line the gorge. Tarn Gorges are among the deepest and longest in Europe. Jim was the designated driver as the roads were very narrow and twisting with lots of tunnels and rocky overhangs.
Later in the day we drove into La Malene where we spent the night in an old chateaux. We wandered around the small village and had a drink and watched the Tour de France on a pub's TV. Later in the evening we enjoyed a meal at a local restaurant.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



16th July 2016

Wow, It all looks so lovely
16th July 2016

Love all the photos. Brings back memories of our travels in France in 81!!! Keep them coming!
21st July 2016

We are having a fabulous time. Glad you are enjoying the blog.
28th July 2016

Beautiful photo,great smile Pat. Jim, you need a bigger smile for the great life you lead.
28th July 2016

We are pretty lucky! Glad you are enjoying the blog.
28th July 2016

Love the rock buildings.

Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb