The Ochre hills


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
September 16th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.5249, 5.45414

We had a good night at the Ibis so were ready to head out into the Provence countryside. We had only signed G up to drive in France, perhaps so didn't like my driving in Italy? We did have Jane, our GPS, so navigation was going to be much easier.

We visited the village of Roussillon. It is a beautiful village with lots of shops and quaint churches to visit.

The first stop was a piazza at the base of a tower and I could see I was going to get my cat fix here. We climbed steps up to take advantage of the views. At the top was a church and asleep inside was a moggie who was not bothered by tourists at all.

We enjoyed a great lunch and a French rose, drier and less "pink" than the Italian style.

Roussillon is famous for rich deposits of ochre pigments found in the clay near the village. The ochre was used in textile industries. The area is now protected. We took a 40 minute walk on the Ochre Footpath to view the ochre outcrops. It was quite amazing as I haven't seen such a landscape.

It was definitely time for a drink and some people watching after the hike (trek, ok stroll). We enjoyed fresh juices in the piazza and I enjoyed another cat.

Jane looked after us today and got us back to the hotel for an average dinner, ready for tomorrow's adventures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



23rd September 2014

So far, this place ticked all the boxes, great food, quaint village, a bit of nature with the walk through the ochre bits, an original artist who signed my poster of her work for me (that will go on the office wall), friendly cats, delicio
us wine and fantastic weather, ahhhhh what more could you ask for. Oops, forgot the interesting sights in the village... bliss

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb