Mistral Winds and sightseeing


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
April 27th 2017
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Dot in the AbbeyDot in the AbbeyDot in the Abbey

We toured the Abbey de Montmajour. Part ruins, but part of it held up well. Very tall ceilings.
Geo: 43.7439, 4.79528

The spa was fully booked today. No room for us. So, in spite of chilly temperatures and strong Mistral winds, we decided to venture out sightseeing anyway. They talk a lot about Mistral winds here, and they often described them when we would watch the Tour de France and the cyclists were "battling the winds". How windy could it be? We found out today - very windy.

We drove to the Abbey de Mountmajor which was started in the 11h century by Benedictine monks. Some of it is in ruins, but quite a bit is intact. And it is huge. We were there for a while, exploring but the winds almost blew us over whenever we ventured outside. Some pictures below in the blog. We climbed to the top of its North Tower which had a great view of the entire site and the countryside. There were white horses grazing in a pasture next door. Very picturesque. You can see by our pictures that we are quite bundled up.

From there we went to see another Roman aqueduct. This one was much more in ruins that the cool one we saw crossing the river. This one, however, is just sitting on the side of the road and you can hike and climb all over it. No entrance fee or anything. Just Roman ruins laying around.

Scenic drive then back to St Remy for a leisurely lunch at La Cantina, one of the local restaurants. As usual, they put the Americans in the dark corner, but they were very attentive and the food was good. We didn't mind. No English menu, but we managed to translate enough to order. Couldn't miss the chocolate fondant on the menu - didn't need a translation for that. It was excellent and pictures are below.

We were going to shop a little after lunch, but as usual, all of the shops in this area close up and lock their doors for a 2 hour lunch. Hard to get used to. We keep forgetting. Relaxing like everyone else and will venture out later.

Driving is getting a little easier. We have been Wazing around the larger cities. Dot is navigating with all 3 GPS but sometimes she still need the paper maps. It is hard to get a consistent cell signal in this area, so the phone GPS can be unreliable and conflicting.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

North TowerNorth Tower
North Tower

We climbed up to the top.
Top of the tireTop of the tire
Top of the tire

125 steps straight up a narrow windy stone staircase and we end up on top of the North Tower of the Abbey.
Dot and another Roman AqueductDot and another Roman Aqueduct
Dot and another Roman Aqueduct

This one was more in ruins. but still pretty cool. It was cold and windy today - the Mistral winds were blowing. We were bundled up
Lunch!  - spaghettiLunch!  - spaghetti
Lunch! - spaghetti

Leisurely lunch in St Remy - quite tasty
Chocolat FondantChocolat Fondant
Chocolat Fondant

Chocolate cake with warm chocolate oozing out of the center, with caramel sauce. Perfect.


27th April 2017

I have been enjoying your daily journal entries. I particularly like such lines as you did not have to pay entrance fee today, they were "just Roman ruins laying around".
27th April 2017

YUM!
28th April 2017

Oh my gosh! I'm pretty sure I went here too!
28th April 2017

Safe choice!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb