Modern Day Philosopher: Olympe de Gouges


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
December 4th 2013
Published: December 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Olympe de Gouges is an individual that I believe is a modern day female philosopher. Marie-Olympe de Gouges was born Marie Gouzes in Montauban, in southern France, 1748. She died in 1793. She was born to working class parents but took her place amidst the French intellectuals who advocated the French Revolution. She was a popular playwright, and she fought for the rights of French women. For all of the plays, pamphlets, manifestos and speeches Olympe de Gouges wrote during her short life, she is probably most famous for declaring Jean-Paul Marat "the abortion of the world." Also, the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, she wrote the Déclaration des droits de la Femme et de la Citoyenne "Declaration of the Rights of Woman and the Female Citizen". She died during the French Revolution. This act of moral courage was to cost her dearly.She has enlightened the world. Olympe de Gouges's philosophy is that men and women should be created equal. She has influenced the modern world because there is a copious amount of feminists; women feel more intrepid. Also, men are listening to women. Women has the opportunity to work with men.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb