Here we go again


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
May 19th 2012
Published: July 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The “setting off for sunnier climates” part is usually one of the most exciting parts of travelling; the anticipation of getting there being just as exciting as actually arriving, but not this time. Haven driven across most of France then back up to Scotland just less than a month ago, we are more dreading the long drive rather than looking forward to it. However, I AM looking forward to a week’s holiday at the flat in Spain first, then onto Ibiza for another mad, fast-paced and crazy summer.

There’s not much to report on the first part of the journey, just a LOOOOOOOONG drive down to Dover with a few stops at service stations along the way (we’re an expert on the good and the bad ones by now) and then a one night stopover in a crazy little b & b beside the sea. Next the ferry across to France and then another excruciatingly LOOOOOOOOOOONG drive down to Bordeaux. The weather hasn’t helped our mood much as it’s rained since we left Scotland and now all the way over France. It’s hard to get in the holiday mode just yet (especially without a gin and tonic in my hand).

As we get nearer to Bordeaux (after 10 hours of driving already), the motorway is reduced down to one lane for motorworks, so it takes an extra hour to get to our friend’s house. We finally arrive at about 11pm and are absolutely starving having decided to forfeit the temptation of a stodgy , soggy and calorie-laden service station sandwich, and almost jump for joy when we see that Alice and Martin have laid on a king-worthy spread of various cheeses, meats and bread, along with a fine bottle of red wine – how very French and sophisticated (although the only thing sophisticated at this moment is the label on the bottle of wine as we trough down food and drink like farmyard animals). The wine (and food) lasts approximately ten minutes, and what was meant to be a quick drink and catch up turns into 3 bottles of wine, beer and champagne. At 3am we contemplate moving into the “hmmm what other drink can we find in the house? oooh maybe rum and gin will go together nicely with pineapple juice…” territory but sensibly decide against it as we have another 7 or 8 hour drive ahead of us the next day.

The next morning (or rather early afternoon) Alice and Martin continue their hospitality by putting on another amazing breakfast spread for us – you can tell these guys work in the industry (N.B – Alice and Martin run the local pub in La Rosiere where we worked for the ski season). Fed and watered, we set off towards Zaragossa and arrive about 7 hours later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb