Montmartre


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 8th 2012
Published: June 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today the quaint and picturesque streets of Montmartre beckoned, for a final and very French 'au revoir'. I joined a small walking tour (Sandemans) and soon we had covered lots of ground, starting outside the Moulin Rouge and finishing at a coffee shop near Sacre Coeur. I was fascinated by the bronze bust of Yolanda Gigliotti (Dalida), her bust was worn smooth by many hands pressing there for good luck. Though judging by her poor record in life ( she and all three of her husbands committed suicide) it could be a bit misguided.....

Sacre Coeur was in full operational mass mode, many souls praying. It was beautifully warm inside those richly decorated walls, outside the miserable weather echoed my feelings of loss at leaving this place so rich in history, so full of vibrant life.

After buying (and eating) a sample of the prize winning baugette from 2012 and a bag of light, delicately coloured marshmallows I began to feel the world was not such a bad place. A croque monsieur ( toasted goats cheese, tomato and ham sandwich) was just beautiful; warm, rich and satisfying.

Back on the metro, I was soon walking for the last time down the narrow and now familiar streets of Saint Maurice. Luckily my wonderful partner is only an internet call away; he is so supportive and ready for me when I am feeling a bit down. Today was one of those days.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



11th June 2012

Beautiful part of the world
Wow! Thank you for sharing those photos and your day - I was there many years ago and your blog made me want to go back. Such lovely streets and amazing churches and art. The food. The flowers. The colours and light. Wow Deb - what an adventure.
12th June 2012

Montmartre
Yes Melinda, this is a wonderful and unique part of Paris, made to come to life through the walking tour. I learned such a lot and only realised later when talking to Dan about it just how much. It is easy to see why people fall in love with Paris....Deb xx

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb