What NOT To Take


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 18th 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today. 115 kms. Initially flat, then rolling, then some more serious climbs -- or maybe they just felt more serious cause we were tired. Mostly back roads through French farm country. Wish I had a euro for every bale of hay we say today. Arrived in Besancon by 2:30, biked out to the campground, stopping at a bakery for our daily addiction.

A little light rain around noon, some more just as we were setting up the tent, but certainly not the deluge we feared. From the campground, a short walk through the woods brought us to a Carrefour (a French Walmart of sorts) that had an all you can eat vegetable bar accompanied by one piece of fish or steak for just 6.50 euros. They did not make any money off of us cause we crave vegetables when we're on the road. Tomorrow it's on to Pontarlier, where we hope to spend the night with some Warm Shower hosts.

The other day, I listed Ten Things to Take With You on a Cycling Tour. By popular demand, now it's time to list the items NOT to take.
1. an umbrella -- Bill disagrees with me on this one. We have NEVER brought an umbrella with us . . . until this trip. Personally, I hate umbrellas and would rather rely on my rain jacket. So, don't take an umbrella; trust me.
2. a baseball bat -- we've seen a couple of people over the years who carry a baseball bat in their back pannier to ward off chasing dogs. Too much weight. Just squirt those dogs with your water bottle or, if you feel you need a better weapon, carry pepper spray. Unfortunately, if the wind is blowing, the spray may blow back in your own face. And if it's really hot, you may hate wasting your water on a dumb, old dog, but it's better than being bitten.
3. Your high heels, makeup, and sexy lingerie. Replace these items with sneakers, sun-block, and non-destructible underwear. Who are you trying to impress, anyway?
4. A stove and frying pan -- Once in Canada, I watched a cycling tourist pull a cast iron frying pan and a five pound bag of potatoes out of her pannier. If your nickname is Julia Child, go for it. Otherwise, forget it. Cereal and milk, cheese and ham sandwiches, and fruit; an occasional meal in a cafe or restaurant. You don't need to bring the stove with gas and pots and pans and salt and pepper and cooking oil and . . . . you get the idea.
5. Your large musical instrument -- we've seen guitars and accordions. Learn to play the harmonica.
6. Your IPod and its extensive playlist. Listen, instead, to the sounds around you. The birds, the water lapping against the pier, the rhythm of the language you don't speak, the 3-cylinder cars driving past you. These are the sounds of the land you are visiting. Immerse yourself in them.
7. American arrogance -- Leave it at home. Wait your turn. Learn to speak a few words of the country you are visiting -- like please and thank you. Squat in their potties without saying, "Ooh, gross." Be polite; be gracious.

Okay, it's getting dark. Time to get to bed. I'm sure I'll think of more stuff NOT to take tomorrow. In the meantime, bonne nuit!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb