The Final Blog


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
May 27th 2010
Published: May 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

France final


On the Coast at FourasOn the Coast at FourasOn the Coast at Fouras

Fort Boyard on the left in the distance
After leaving Niort, we headed out to the Atlantic coast through the Marais Poitevin to visit La Rochelle again. The Marais is a huge area of reclaimed marsh land and with the weather picked up and the sun shining, the Marais’s picturesque canals and villages made for a very interesting stopoff.

Having previously unsuccessfully navigated La Rochelle a couple of years ago, this time on approaching the town the driver enquired of the navigator whether or not we would be avoiding the old town. Despite good intentions, we arrived to find the camperstop full and were funnelled into the approach roads into the old town. So for a second time, we ended up driving around the narrow roads trying to find our way out. We eventually found out of town parking and spent a very warm day wandering around a very crowded La Rochelle full of anti-capitalism campaigners. We left La Rochelle and headed down the coast to Fouras, where Fort Boyard was visible across the bay. Heavy floods had devastated the peninsula and many homes were undergoing repairs where the sea waters had washed through them.

Leaving the coast, we headed back east stopping off at Rochefort, an old maritime town and St.Jean D’Angely before completing the circle and arriving back at Oradour Sur Glane. Heading south, we spent the next few weeks pottering around the villages and towns between Oradour and Brantome spending many nights tucked up beside lakes in this beautiful area.

With the deadline of our return ferry approaching, we reluctantly left the Dordogne to spend our final weekend with friends in Honfleur. Having not seen them since November, we spent the weekend catching up and drowning our sorrows lamenting the end of our travelling.

So from where we started in January 2007, we have travelled 50,000 miles in 14 countries over 30 months and arrived back in the UK with some fantastic memories.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Inquisitive Limousin cowsInquisitive Limousin cows
Inquisitive Limousin cows

After our swedish experience with cows, these were tucked safely behind a fence.


28th May 2010

Thankyou for taking me with you
Lyndsay I have so enjoyed the marvelous views, the atmosphere , the company. You have educated , entertained and made me look forward to the next installment on a regular basis. Thank you

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb