Châteaux and Chartres


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
October 14th 2009
Published: October 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cyndi in the backyard of Chateau ChevernyCyndi in the backyard of Chateau ChevernyCyndi in the backyard of Chateau Cheverny

This lavishly furnished hunting palace was built from 1604-1634. It continues to be owned by the Hurault family. The viscount's family still lives on the third floor.
After leaving St. Jacques-de-la-Lande we headed east to the Loire Valley. The Loire River is south of Paris, and flows from east to west. This river’s valley is the home of hundreds of castles, palaces, and chateaux. The Loire Valley has rolling hills, fertile fields and vineyards. We stayed at La Roseraire, a hotel, in Chenonceaux for two nights. While in this area we stopped to view Chateau Usse, Chateau Azay-le-Rideau, and Chateau de Chambord. We visited Chateau de Chenonceau and Chateau Cheverny.
Next we travel north to Paris, and stop in Chartres to see Chartres Cathedral.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Jeff, Jackie, and Dean at Chateau Usse. Jeff, Jackie, and Dean at Chateau Usse.
Jeff, Jackie, and Dean at Chateau Usse.

Chateau Usse was the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Loire Valley.
Jackie at gate of Chateau Azay-le-Rideau Jackie at gate of Chateau Azay-le-Rideau
Jackie at gate of Chateau Azay-le-Rideau

Chateau Azay-le-Rideau is a 16th century chateau in western portion of the Loire Valley.
Cyndi and Dean near the Cher River with the Chateau de Chenonceau in the background. Cyndi and Dean near the Cher River with the Chateau de Chenonceau in the background.
Cyndi and Dean near the Cher River with the Chateau de Chenonceau in the background.

Chateau de Chenonceau is a 16th century Renaissance palace. It was one of the first pleasure palaces to be built. King Henry II gave the chateau to Diane de Poitiers his mistress in 1547. Diane de Poitiers added a bridge over the Cher River so as to get to the hunting grounds which were on the other side of the river. After Henry died as a result of a jousting wound, his wife, Catherine de Medicis, evicted Diane, and then added the existing 3-story structure on the bridge.
Jackie and Jeff at Chateau de ChenonceauJackie and Jeff at Chateau de Chenonceau
Jackie and Jeff at Chateau de Chenonceau

Jackie and Jeff with the Chateau de Chenonceau and the Cher River in the background.
Cyndi at Chateau de Chenonceau Cyndi at Chateau de Chenonceau
Cyndi at Chateau de Chenonceau

Cyndi in the large room that spans the Cher River.
Cyndi, Jackie and Jeff near gardens Cyndi, Jackie and Jeff near gardens
Cyndi, Jackie and Jeff near gardens

Catherine De Medicis' Garden at Chateau de Chenonceau
Jackie working in the vineyard. Jackie working in the vineyard.
Jackie working in the vineyard.

Jackie picking very sour grapes from vineyard at Chateau de Chenonceau.
Cyndi sitting on a wall near Chateau de Chambord.Cyndi sitting on a wall near Chateau de Chambord.
Cyndi sitting on a wall near Chateau de Chambord.

This chateau has 440 rooms which makes it one of the largest. Chateau de Chambord started as a hunting lodge, and eventually became was a winter palace. It's forest game preserve is enclosed by a 20 mile long wall.
Chartres CathedralChartres Cathedral
Chartres Cathedral

Chartres is a medieval town, and in 876 the Cathedral was given a relic of the Blessed Virgin Mary’s veil, the Sancta Camisia. In 1194 lightning started a fire that destroyed much of the church. The veil was also thought to have perished, but three days later the veil was discovered unharmed in a pile of ashes. As a result many individuals from all over France began sending in donations to rebuild the Cathedral. Chartes Cathedral has many beautiful stained glass windows, and over 2000 carved figures.
The Sancta Camisia The Sancta Camisia
The Sancta Camisia

Chapel with Virgin Mary's veil carbon dated to first century, Chartres Cathedral.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb