Parisian Caberets


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
October 10th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On a spur of the moment in our hotel room in Spain, we decided to book tickets to go see Moulin Rouge. We dutifully forked over our credit card number and had no idea what to expect other than our included half bottle of champagne per person. When we got to Moulin Rouge the line for the 11pm show must have been four city blocks long. We half expected to have nosebleed seats at the very back of the theatre. Instead, we were ushered to the front row seats. By front row, I mean that we personally inspected the topless dancers to determine whether their chests were silicone enhanced (they were not) and the glittery male costumes were down right tacky (tight spandex with missing sequins that did nothing to enhance their natural male features). So for two hours we proceeded to get drunk on our champagne half-entertained at the beautiful costumes and organized dance routines and half-cringing at the terrible intermission acts that included talking puppets and a man able to juggle in his mouth.
All in all, it was a highly entertaining two hours with glittery headdresses and feathered costumes. Moulin Rouge did also incorporate animals into their show. The highland ponies were quite cute (but poor things... it was probably past their bedtime!) and a topless woman diving between water snakes beat Cirque du Soleil's Zomanity swimming in a water bowl act.

Our walk back to our hotel at 1am from Moulin Rouge was not far though passed through most of Pigalle where all of the sex stores and topless shows were located. I'm not sure whether to be mortified or secretly pleased when asked how much it would cost for both Keely and I for the night. Most likely mortified considering that our clothing was borderline granny conservative.

Our artsy component of this city stop consisted of going to the Centre Georges Pompidou museum for modern art. We discovered a piece exemplfying minimal art. This particular piece consisted of three white canvasses. What I'm curious to know is if the artist spent agonizing hours over which shade of white to use. If so, if reminds me of a friend who purchased new venetian blinds recently in a shade of "oriental white".

p.s. for your entertainment, I have included pictures (unfortunately taken in bad lighting) I'd like to title "colors and chairs of the Paris metro"


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb