Day 1: Dieppe to Roumare (65km)


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
August 14th 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Thursday 14th August. On a chilly grey morning at 4AM we pile into the car and set off for Newhaven to catch the Trans Manche Ferries crossing to Dieppe.

The ferry terminal at Newhaven has the advantage of compactness, but this seems about the only thing going for it as we shelter from a sudden cloudburst and gaze up at the rotting 1960s clapboard shed that serves as the terminal building. Security is relaxed, to say the least. We check in with the cars, but a fellow cyclist just rides through and onto the ferry without having shown a single item of identification (he is only asked for his passport on leaving the ferry at Dieppe).

The TMF boat itself is a lot better than the send-off - comfortable, clean and with pleasant staff. The four hour crossing passes quickly, helped by a cooked breakfast, and by the time we arrive at Dieppe the sun is out. Things are definitely looking up.

We thread our way through the streets of Dieppe which prove much less busy than expected, and by 2PM we are out of town and on our way south.

We choose the route out to
Roland and ChrisRoland and ChrisRoland and Chris

Weaving between the heavy traffic
Arques, and turn right up a short hill to find a left turn towards Aubermesnil, the D100. After a succession of gentle hills and undulating fields, with very little traffic to speak of, we make our way down to a crossroad where we have decided to take a right turn into Auffay for a late lunch. Stopping at the charmingly named MUTANT supermarket for provisions, we head down into the town centre. Here we buy bread from the Renault bakery and sit in the empty covered market for a picnic lunch, sheltering from the odd light shower.

Looking at progress so far, it seems that Duclair was a bit ambitious a target for the first day, so we decide to look for a stop in Pavilly Barentin. We find the town hall and discover there is no campsite. However a helpful young lady checks the internet and (prompted by me) confirms there is one at Roumare, not far south. Finding this proves a little challenging, as we agree we don’t want to cycle on the main road (just as well, as I discover later it is the A13 autoroute!). Several cuts through housing estates, allotments and with the benefit of guidance from locals, all of whom seem to say the same thing (straight on, then turn right) we manage to arrive at this completely un-signposted destination. Our relief at finding this pleasant campsite is tempered by the realisation that no eatery exists in the village. However, a few kilometres back was a Centre Commerciale where (resisting a foray into the brand new Decathlon) we find a Campanile. They furnish a decent meal with steak but redefine the term “a point” to mean heavily char-grilled.

The return to the campsite is challenging in the pitch dark, but with Chris at the front with a forward headlight and me at the back with a red flashing one, we feel as safe as houses.

All in all, a good first day with 65km covered.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

RoumareRoumare
Roumare

Our first campsite
RoumareRoumare
Roumare

Is this a large pair of drawers or a Quecha sleeping bag from Decathlon?


Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb