Roanne and our dinner at TROISGROS


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
October 14th 2005
Published: October 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Friday Oct 14 was the evening of our wonderful dinner at Restaurant Trosgros. Robin and Wayne had the full 10 course menu while Anita and I chose from à la carte. It would take awhile to name all the dishes we tasted, but suffice it to say that all the food was excellent, unusual, and served as a piece of artwork. Several highlights: imagine poached oysters in a coulis of beetroot--m-m-m and colourful too. We were seated in an alcove so it felt like our own private dining room. The waiters, sommelier, and chef du rang were all very gracious and discreet.
Being so interested in food and wine, and speaking French, we engaged them in conversation. One stunning event--the first white wine served had gone off (Puilly Fuissé 1995). Sommelier agreed and brought us a newer vintage. It had gone off too! Sommelier exclaimed "Incroyable! 2 bouteilles!" Finally had a Chassagne Emorazees 2001 (white), then a red Gevry Chambertin 1997 both excellent.
Part way through the dinner, Michel Trosgros appeared. We had a delightful conversation with him and said how much we had enjoyed meeting his father in 1973 and 1992 and his uncle in 1973!
Despite the elevated prices since our previous visits, we enjoyed the 4 hour dinner immensely; I actually didn't feel overstuffed! Robin took some photos of the actual dishes--otherwise we'd never remember their presentation. The chef, chef du rang, and sommelier all autographed a menu for us to take away.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb