Paris-Pekin 2008


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
November 27th 2007
Published: January 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Me and my bikeMe and my bikeMe and my bike

In Brittany 2007
This cycle trip starts in France and finishes in China. It is run by the Federation Francaise de Cyclotourisme (FFCT) and is not for charity, it is aimed at publicising cycle touring and also has links to educational projects. Departure is from Paris on 16 March and arrival is in Beijing on 3 August - just before the Olympics. On two days we will accompany the Olympic torch.
It took some effort to get onto the list. There was an exhaustive selection process (including writing accounts of rides in French, writing application letters, and lots of expensive medical tests). About 100 participants have been selected. Most, of course, are French. Most, of course, are men. However, there are about 15 foreigners ... Spanish, Canadian (or rather Quebecquois), German, Danish, Belgian, Luxembourgeois etc - and yours truly, the only Brit. There are only around 15 women, apparently long-distance women cyclists are in short supply.
Most of us gathered for a meeting in France in October where we socialised, met the support team, collected more information, tried on clothes (we will have official expedition cycling gear) and looked at an example of the bikes they are going to build for us. (Let's face it, if you are taking 100 bikes a distance of 12,000 km on a trip lasting 5 months, you need them to be identical so that you only carry one set of spare parts. The only exceptions are two tandems - one with a blind stoker.)
We are a really nice bunch of people. The average age is 59 (!) - how many people can take 5 months off for a cycle trip? us retired people!
There is a second meeting in February when we collect our new bikes and take them home to get used to till the departure from the Eiffel Tower on 16 March.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb