Day 19 Virtual bike ride. Vouecourt to Chaumont. 21 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 3rd 2021
Published: March 3rd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Grey and very cold again today. A lap of the villages today... Waddington, Whalley, Wiswell, Pendleton, Worston, Chatburn, West Bradford, Waddington and home. No extra miles today but we are well on track.

Our virtual journey would be leaving Vouecourt and another easy day of riding on the canal, gradually gaining height lock by lock. Today we enter Burgundy. Burgundy is renowned for its superb wines, excellent gastronomy and rich architectural heritage. Buildings of note include a large number of medieval and Renaissance homes, churches and monasteries. Many are topped by the region's distinctive, multihued tile roofs. Most of the monasteries belonged either to the Cistercian order or their bitter rivals, at the time, the powerful and wealthy Benedictines directed from Cluny. (We pass through Cluny in a few more days).

Chaumont is the capital of the Haute-Marne department.The city stands on the river Marne and is situated on the railway linking Paris and Basel, which runs over a 52 m tall and 600 m long viaduct, comprising of 52 arches. There are three levels of arches. The bottom level now carry a pedestrian walkway, the second level carries cables and metal work and the the railway line runs along the top.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb