St Malo to Nice


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
September 14th 2019
Published: September 14th 2019
Edit Blog Post

51 miles

Friday 13th September

Breakfast was good and in a lovely large conservatory and we talked to the three other cyclists about their route and touring in general.

We agreed it was by far the nicest house we had ever stayed in. The owners said that it was too big for them and they wanted to share it with others.

The hostess asked which way we were going and told us that rather than going down the hill to the bridge and back up the other side to get on the route we could get on a path straight across from the house and cycle over the disused viaduct, which used to carry the train line.

It was a day of two halves. Paul and I cycled the twenty five miles to Manot along lovely little country lanes. We saw the first cows with bells on this trip. We also saw a very small deer just next to the road. We arrived at 12.15 in good time for our 12.30 meeting with four friends, from the bike club, who now live in France. Tony, Irene, Sue and Phil soon appeared and we sat outside for lunch, trying to keep in the shade of the parasols but it was getting really warm. The cafe was run by an English lady. The menu even included a full English breakfast and bacon butties. It was great to catch up with them all. Lunch was much more leisurely than usual.

After lunch Tony and Irene shot off as they needed to be home. We rode back to Sue and Phil's with them at a more leisurely pace. From Manot we were off the official route. Again we were on small country lanes and thankfully some wooded areas as it was really hot now. It was another twenty five miles back to their house. I was very pleased to arrive as we had had two long days together and the temperature had really ramped up.

We were staying in their Gite which they let out on Air b&&b. After showers and changing we had glasses of iced water sat on the terrace relaxing. Sue and Phil have four dogs which were constantly around looking for food or wanting us to play ball. We also made good use of Sue's washing machine.

We all ate together sat on the terrace. We dined on a mushroom starter, lasagne and fruit crumble and ice cream. All very nice. It was still plenty warm enough to sit outside. It was interesting to hear about their life in France. They live in a tiny hamlet if only a few houses. They have been there two years now and the house and Gite were in a very poor state when they bought them so slowly they are renovating them. We could hear their neighbour using some machinery. They said he was preparing for the Chestnut harvest. He will keep clearing the ground under the trees so when the chestnuts fall off the trees he can sweep them up. Apparently the harvest season is very short.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb