Climbs and castles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
September 15th 2018
Published: September 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Up up and more up...

Firstly, the things that one calls ones friends when they pass on a hill should never be taken personally. Especially if said friend has a limited filter to start with ?

Dan dubbed the ladies (this obviously excludes me) the hot triples as they motored past us on every uphill climb. We got used to the whirl of the electrics as they went by giving encouraging comments as they passed.

Day 4 was a tough 70k ride as we went from Rocamadour to Beynac. We passed though the village of Domme on the way, a beautiful fortress that we spent 53 kilometers getting to. It was a very tough uphill slog that went on for longer than I cared to pedal. We were all spread out pretty well on that climb except for Kevin and I who brought up the rear together (only because he is kind and waited with me)

We were treated to the outdoor market upon arriving and this definitely perked us up. Lots of very unique vendors that had fruit and produce as well as hand made items including bags and leather goods. Almost made me forget about the climb. Almost.

The downhill stretch was very welcomed and even more so the incredible castle that would be our hotel the next two nights.

We stayed at this hotel three years ago and I likened it to the Overlook Hotel in the Shinning. They did some great upgrades and it went from a bit spooky to regal and welcoming.

Our last day of riding included some very challenging climbs, some between 15-17%. These were short sections but our quads were on fire! Once we reached the top there was another breathtaking castle. But wait, there’s more. A 13k grind uphill until we were able to crest the hill and descend back to Beynac for lunch and a well earned beer, then to “our castle”.
Marj made the wise decision to not do the climbing as her Achilles was inflamed and angry. She managed, as she does, to make her own fun for the day exploring the country side on her bike, and enjoying the beauty of our hotel.

The hotel has two great pools and we managed to get wet in both. The meals here earn a mention as well. Fine French dining at its best.

Our last night together was bitter sweet as we reminisced about the action packed and memory making 9 days together. At the end of the meal O Brian bought a round of the best French Cognac - it is only produced in the region of Cognac France. The maker was the Martel family which as it turned out are distant relatives to Jean Philippe’s family.

The following morning we said our goodbyes as we were parted ways to seek some more adventure in different areas. Hardest to leave was Yumi and Jean Philippe as well the fun loving and energetic Eloy as we don’t know when our paths will cross again.... Corsica anyone?


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th September 2018

Bravo!!
Thanks for posting all the info and photos of your fun adventure!! Well done everyone!!????????????

Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.2401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb