Post Tour rest day


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Valence
July 23rd 2011
Published: July 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Vineyard 7 secs
SunflowersSunflowersSunflowers

As we drive the back country roads, we are often surrounded by fields of sunflowers. Gorgeous.
After a long day yesterday (and we didn't even cycle 109km up a mountain...), we needed a day of rest. So, we got some laundry done and went into town (Valence) for a walk around the shops on the lovely pedestrian-only cobblestone paths. Then we drove to nearby Tournon sur Rhône and did another walk-about of the streets and took in some gorgeous scenery and history. It was very relaxing and nice to not be in the car for too long.

Nigel mostly (I helped a little) enjoyed a bottle of Saint-Peray sparkling wine (champagne from St-Peray). We actually biked by the vineyard where the grapes come from. On our outing today, we saw some grapes growing on vines close up and later tried to buy wine from that vineyard (Paul Jaboulet Aine) but were not able to find any on Nigel's daily wine and cheese run. It is really cool to see how the vines grow up the sides of mountains on terraces. It must be really hard work to pick the grapes while perched on the side of steep mountains. Maybe they are tethered like on the parade floats yesterday?

One of the highlights was going into
Kafke & fries on a bunKafke & fries on a bunKafke & fries on a bun

Lebanese for lunch today. Russell had Kafke on a bun, to which the merchant added fries and ketchup. You'd think it was disgusting but actually....
a Lebanese bakery and buying homemade Turkish Delight. What a treat!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Shopping in ValenceShopping in Valence
Shopping in Valence

Just up this road Lori discovered Turkish Delight in an Armenian spice store. We tried the pistachio and strawberry kinds. Mmmmmm...
Old ValenceOld Valence
Old Valence

Valence is a nice city. Just before hunting for a quaint stop for lunch, we took a rest on the fountain.
Turnon sur RhôneTurnon sur Rhône
Turnon sur Rhône

On Scott's recommendation (he and cycling pal Stewart did a boat cruise along the Rhone and stopped over here) we visited the old town of Tournon. It is quaint with some great ancient architecture, possibly Roman.
Ancient architectureAncient architecture
Ancient architecture

In Tournon we found this monument and old castle ramparts built right into the rock face. Impressive engineering as it still stands 100s of years later.
BoulangerieBoulangerie
Boulangerie

Every night, a fresh baguette.
From their vineyard to your tableFrom their vineyard to your table
From their vineyard to your table

The grapes grow so close to the narrow little roadside that you can reach out and touch them. We vowed to buy the wine from this vineyard tonight but couldn't find it in the store.
St-Peray bubblySt-Peray bubbly
St-Peray bubbly

The vintner Stephen Chabot makes white wines including this "champagne" style demi-sec. It was not sweet like the champagnes we've had before (but good). IN the end, we skipped supper and just had baguette, brie, and champagne for dinner.


23rd July 2011
Old Valence

Green with ....
I love reading about your trip and wish we were there with you. Your day yesterday to watch the Tour was awesome, and I would have been just like Lori with the heights. Have a great trip and thanks for keeping us posted.
25th July 2011
Shopping in Valence

Great picture of the quaint winding streets. I'll bet the shopping was great but expensive.
25th July 2011
St-Peray bubbly

You're killing me!
Baguette, brie and bubbly - it doesn't get any better than that - except if you're having it in France!!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb