Just another day in Paradise


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Val-d'Isère
August 15th 2007
Published: November 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Spring TimeSpring TimeSpring Time

Green trees appeared all too early this year after a supposedly slow season! We still thought it was great....considering the lack of powder glory in NZ!
WOW, if we ever get this sent off it will be a miracle!!! This blog has been in the works for an entire year......yes, we were in Val D'Isere December '06 - May '07 (meak laugh)

Sooo following our Christmas in England, we flew to Val D'Isere in the french alps to start work as chalet maids in a 5 star chalet...our first lot of clients were arriving the next day so let just say we were thrown in the deep end!!!...enough said, despite neither of us having ever worked in hospitality before we managed to charm our way through the season turning our 'very very important' clients into friends.

Val D'Isere itself is actually one of the most beautiful places on earth when it was snowing it was just like being in Narnia. Even after 5 months none of us got tired of gazing at the epic surroundings we were living in....just another day in Paradise.

January brought crazy, cold temperatures, LOADS if snow and 4 more kiwi girls Kat, Hollie, Sara and Julie making our gang complete for the season. We also got loads of visitors throughout which was a treat...Im sure they loved the 1.5m
Val D'IsereVal D'IsereVal D'Isere

The glory of our playground
x .5m space they got to sleep in!

Not much needs to be said because we took THOUSANDS of photos between us all, don't worry, we have amazing editing skills......but the pictures will say it all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 110, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Val D'IsereVal D'Isere
Val D'Isere

Arriving in style....who said anything about travelling light?? ah-hem!
Val D'Isére VillageVal D'Isére Village
Val D'Isére Village

This gorgeous church was the centre of the old village, and a landmark in the town
Best Week Ever.......Off PisteBest Week Ever.......Off Piste
Best Week Ever.......Off Piste

Another glorious day after fresh snow....we ventured 'off piste' aka out of bounds, on a regular basis....sorry Dad!
Val DVal D
Val D

Our playground for 5 months.....Valley of the (river)
Val D'IséreVal D'Isére
Val D'Isére

The lift just outside our Chalet after a big snowfall....doesn't get much better than this!!
Val DVal D
Val D

Definitly one of our hightlight days, Em, Hollie and Liv hiked across a ridge and carved our way down a freshly snowed crevace....making our own tracks with massive grins on our faces!!!
The LodgeThe Lodge
The Lodge

Out on the town in one of our early favs, The Lodge, for toffee vodkas....
Russian New YearRussian New Year
Russian New Year

This was taken before the night really took off.....however James was clearly 'two sheets to the wind' already......
Russian New YearRussian New Year
Russian New Year

Sharing the love - little did we know what was ACTUALLY in store for us that evening!!
Russian New YearRussian New Year
Russian New Year

Family traditions reign strong in the Russian culture.....making 'dumplings' for the evenings festivites
Russian New YearRussian New Year
Russian New Year

Vodka + Toasts = very happy people!
Russian New YearRussian New Year
Russian New Year

Russian Dancing - Em was convinced she had natural ability, and that was only after 3 shots! Note the concentration...ooooo, she was good ;-)
The FlatThe Flat
The Flat

We shared our entry way with a couple of 'Dirty Danish' boys from......Denmark. Lets just say, they earned their name!!
The FlatThe Flat
The Flat

Crammed in like sardines.....or pickles. There are more pickles in a pickle jar than sardines in a sardine tin. That was us in Val......pickles.
The FlatThe Flat
The Flat

No idea what's going on here, think it was snowing hard outside so....cabin fever?....cultivation?.....oh yeah, this is how we cook dinner for Wattie.....don't ask!!
The FlatThe Flat
The Flat

Thanks for the Nana Mugs Wattie...what are you implying though??
The FlatThe Flat
The Flat

Again, note the 'cosiness'
The FlatThe Flat
The Flat

Casts can be surprisingly useful....
The FlatThe Flat
The Flat

And snow it did, like a trojan!!! Ahhhh, note the size of the golf-ball snow flakes!!!


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb