Day 4: Paris to Beaujolais Wine Region, Lyon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
April 22nd 2005
Published: May 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

'Au revoir' Paris as we head south to the Beaujolais vineyards near Lyon. We spend the next 2 nights at Contiki's exclusive Chateau de Cruix.

On our way to the Chateau! Got up at 7 this morning to pack everything so we were ready to leave. Had croissants for breakfast this morning, as well as the usual fruit, yoghurt, cereal and danishes. After breakfast we swept and mopped out our cabins, then packed all our bags on the coach.
Had our first rest stop at Chateau Fontainebleau, where Napolean lived for a while. Our second rest stop was at an autogrill, and we saw ladies coming out of the toliets with their dogs !
Did introductions when we got back on the bus, which took almost 2 hours and made the time fly. Was really interesting to hear about everyone and their backgrounds. There's 39 of us altogether, 20 single girls, 7 single guys and 6 couples; 3 South Africans, 3 Americans, 5 Canadians, 3 Kiwis and 25 Aussies. Amanda went through the optionals with us, and we had to work out which ones we want to do.
Arried at Chateau De Cruix at about 4, and unpacked
Paris cabinsParis cabinsParis cabins

Melissa cleaning our cabin
and sorted out rooms and stuff. I'm rooming with Nat M, Brigitte and Tracey. Our room's really cool, we're at the fron of the chateau, and we have a bunk and 2 single beds which are so old fashioned it looks like we're in an orphanage. It's so beautiful here in the Beaujolais region, the views of the vineyards are spectacular. We had wine tasting at the vineyard up the road behind the chateau. White, red and rose are all made from the one type of grape here, which has white juice and dark flesh. They add sulfur and sugar to the grapes to make the wine, the sulfur absorbs the impurities and then evaporates. The harvest season starts in September, and the wine is usually ready by november. Back at the chateau we had pork ribs, chips and salad for dinner, then headed to 'the cave' for our beach party.
Had a fun night at the cave, the cellar under the chateau. There's a tiny bar area with 2 barrels for tables, which the boys were using for arm wrestling competitions, and a dancefloor on the other side. We were drinking Desperados - beer with a tequila shot in it. We were the only group there, so it was great to be able to run around knowing everyone. Was buying rounds with Julia, Nat L-Z and Emily, so ended up having a big night.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Wine tastingWine tasting
Wine tasting

Julia and me
The CaveThe Cave
The Cave

Emily and I on the dancefloor


16th December 2005

WOW
Seeing these pics is bringing back a lot of memories.. looks like you took the Contiki tour.. maybe the European adventure???? I did it in September 2004 and it was the time of my life! I'm canadian and never seen so many awesome things! did you end up staying in the haunted room in the Chataux? Was the Pool open? it was open for us but a little chilly outside to swim in it.. anyways I'm always interested in hearing what other ppl think about their trip, my e-mail address is bujold8@hotmail.com.. send me a message or something and let me know if i'm right (European Adventure) oh and what was your wake up song on your Bus? hehe

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb